So, tell me again why you think your religious beliefs should be made into law?

I'm surprised this story hasn't made the rounds here, yet.

A woman in Ireland died because doctors refused to terminate her pregnancy that was making her very ill.  She wanted the baby, but knew that it was killing her, and asked that they abort it.  They refused.  They wouldn't remove the fetus as long as they could detect a fetal heartbeat.  She was told that they Ireland is a "Catholic nation", implying that even though the patient wasn't Catholic, she had to abide by Catholic rules.  By the time the fetus was declared dead, she was so critically ill that she was beyond help.  Fetus and mother died.  No one was helped by this religion.

I understand being pro-life.  Really, I do.  There was a time in my life when I believed that a fetus was the same thing as a new-born baby, and a "gift from God".  Yes, I really did believe that.  After giving it more thought, though, I realized that a woman's life has value, too, and it ultimately should be her decision whether to continue or to terminate a pregnancy.  She has her own beliefs, her own values, and knows her own life best.  Why should she be subjected and have to live (or die) according to the beliefs of others?

If there truly is such a thing as "Free Will", then let each individual exercise it as long as it doesn't harm the life or property of another person.  If you believe that life begins at conception and that it's a sin to terminate that life, then if you should find yourself pregnant, don't terminate it.  I don't believe that life begins at conception, and furthermore, I believe that my life has value and that I'm capable of making decisions that are best for me, for my life, and for my family.  Why should I risk my life because you believe your god thinks I should?  Why should I do anything because you think your god wants me to?

Tell me why I should have to follow the laws of your religion.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Another good reason why Romney didnt get into office....
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• " Yes but that is what democracy is. Everyone gets one vote. You don't have to agree with the outcome. I don't like many laws but I prefer it to a dictatorship ( which are often atheist in nature, but that's another story). "

Exactly. In a democracy, you can cast your vote according to what you think is right. And if that view is based on religious or secular ideas it's irrelevant. Each person should vote as they see fit. You may disagree with the majority, tough luck.
    For whatever reason, Irish society has determined abortion is illegal. We may disagree that there's not a health exception, or even that it's illegal to begin with, but the fact remains that it's THEIR choice.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• What that means, of course, is that if you can get enough people to vote for your religious beliefs to be made into law, then everyone has to follow them, even if they're not part of your faith. It also means that if our demographics change enough, you might be subjected to and have to follow the beliefs of another religion, should another religion become dominate. It renders the First Amendment useless, because they way people are reading democracy is that whoever has the most votes wins. If enough people believe that slavery should be reinstated and based on race, then watch out targeted groups! After all, majority rules

~~~

Yes but that is what democracy is.  Everyone gets one vote.  You don't have to agree with the outcome.  I don't like many laws but I prefer it to a dictatorship ( which are often atheist in nature, but that's another story). 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• "Tell me why I should have to follow the laws of your religion."

And what about the people that are following laws they don't agree with that are there because you voted for them? Why should they follow what YOU deem right?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I don't think you should HOWEVER I do think you have to follow the law of the land. Here, termination of a pregnancy is not considered murder. Ireland's laws are different.
    Just as I do not believe that is is not all right to take someone out and shoot them and thankfully those are the laws I live under, but that is not that case all over the world.
    Just as here some forms of female (wife , daughter, sister) "discipline" and restriction is law. Here it would not be tolerated.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• "Tell me why I should have to follow the laws of your religion"

But it's not about the laws of their religion, it's about the laws of their country. They consider that every fetus is a person as from conception. That person has the LEGAL right to live as from that point. It is a doctor's obligation to protect that life. As long as there is even the slightest sign of life the doctor's hands are tied. It's not that hard to understand.

Yes, the Irish people could vote to legalize abortion but why would they if the consider it morally wrong?

Personally, I think that, when they realized she was miscarrying and that there was a problem they should have had her heliported to the nearest hospital in the British Isles that was NOT part of Ireland and let them deal with it.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Most laws are based on moral principles. If you believed that abortion was the killing of a human, shouldn't you expect that to carry over into laws? If you thought that abortion was wholesale slaughter, wouldn't you want the law to affect that. Just as taking a gun and holding it to a person's head and killing him is murder.
    The question you asked and the story aren't in a stable married
    Now, I this was addressed in another thread, but it sounds as if the law is not being interpreted correctly by some hospitals in Ireland
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think the doctors should have treated her. If your asking if abortion should be legal, than that should be for people to decide. Ireland has voted twice to legalize abortion and both times it was voted down, that's a democracy.

They are still investigating what happened. If she was having a miscarriage or suffering from some sort of blood poisoning she should have been treated.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I know not to getsick in Ireland.

Answer by louise2 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I don't know if abortion should ever be unlawful at this point. Its been an option for so long that I think taking it away now will cause horrible things...... suicide, home abortions ECT.....

That being said first and out of the way. I am pro life!!!! I worked for an OBGYN for many years and have seen a 14 week pregnancy miscarry in the office. I am here to tell you that "fetus" was alive outside the body for 35-45 min. It was not some piece of slime. It was

I do not believe that abortion should have ever been legal!!! With some exceptions of course!!! Just as I don't believe women have a right to kill their newborns or children. I believe its wrong!!!! I think if you were with me that day that little angel died in front of me........ If you have any heart at all..... You would agree with me.

Abortion is legal here up to 32 weeks. FYI babes are surviving being born as little as 20 weeks. How is this ok?
    theresamarie77

Answer by theresamarie77 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2012