The Death of a Furnace (just a vent)

Okay, I guess this is just a vent, but I feel like bawling. My furnace died today. It was a piece of shit furnace, installed by the builders of this cheap ass house I bought. I have to buy a new furnace this year because next year, the government is going to require more efficient furnaces which will ad a lot to the bill because I'll have to replace the ducts if I put in a new furnace later. Both fans are going out because the damn furnace is overheating, and we have to act before our trip next week. First my knee gets torn up and it isn't healing so I'll be getting an MRI next month, then a pin breaks off a shelf in my refrigerator, falls into the drawer, when I wash the drawer out, the pin goes down the garbage disposal, wedges in there and gets the disposal stuck. Now my furnace. Twenty one hundred dollars later, and we're going on the trip because we have to go, we already bought the tickets and my boyfriend's folks need his help packing up their house. A thousand bucks, airfare for four. Then his car needs brakes and struts, eighteen hundred dollars. And his ex drops a bomb on us last night, we knew she had a cancerous tumor on her leg that has to be removed next Tuesday--it's fortunately non-invasive, so no radiation or chemo--but she has to be off work for six weeks. Six unpaid weeks, so he'll have to pay all the bills till the first of the year. And where am I supposed to pull Christmass out of, my ass or what?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Home & Garden

• That is a lot on your plate, Ballad. I feel for you having to go through all of this. If it helps, you are not alone. Our furnace overheated last night and it was one of my worst nightmares (the first being if something happened to my kids). I thought that the house was going to blow up and poor DH was woken up to my screams of what to do to. Long story short, the house is still here, but I think the thing is broken now as water got in it and the repairman is coming tomorrow to confirm that. One of our vehicles died last week and the repairs are going to be too high to put into a 14-year-old van. I could go on, but you get the picture. I agree with balagan_imma: take things one day at a time. Otherwise, it becomes too overwhelming and you need your wits about you to deal with everything. Cry if you must, it may help. But, as Dory says in Finding Nemo "keep swimming". And remember to breathe. Chin up. Hugs to you.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 8:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Oh hon, I feel your pain. It can just be so overwhelming sometimes. A few years ago, our furnace died & husb.'s car died, both in Dec. right before Christmas. We've just been barely scraping by for quite a while, and we both work! It's just so frustrating. Thru all the horrible things that have happened to us over the years, I've learned that all you can do, is your best. You cannot control every circumstance, just how you respond to it. (and it's ok to cry!) Somehow, some way, things usually end up working out. We may have a bit more debt that I feel comfortable having, but that seems to be the American way these days! lol :p Could you get your kids on a list at a local church to get help with presents? Or help from family? Hang in there mama. *hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I'm so sorry. I know how overwhelming that is. Going through a lot of stuff myself too in the past 6 months. I'm at the point that I have to laugh because otherwise I'd be so depressed that I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Enjoy your trip to the best of your ability and then take things one day at a time.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Shit, wow. When it rains, it really does pour. I'm sorry you're getting hit with all this at once.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I am so sorry hope things get better soon
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I hope things get better soon.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2012