When should my newborn start daycare

im a stay at home mom but should my child go to daycare so she will make friends

ravenclaw78

Asked by ravenclaw78 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are multiple ways for a child to have the chance to socialize and make friends that don't require daycare. I know one mother who has her child involved in a weekly playgroup. I also know a SAHD who puts his children in daycare 2 days a week so he can scrub the floors without little ones underfoot and they can have friends. In my state, a child can start daycare as soon as they have their first shots.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Not necessary. Unless you want to just throw money away

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• That's up to the daycare. Most daycares have an age requirement.

And, your reason is not valid on an infant. Maybe at the age of two or older, but not as an infant.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• So,do you live in a neighborhood with no kids?
    None of your friends have kids?
    no one else in your family has kids?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• newborns don't make "friends" this early. Friendship comes months later, interaction is important but that doesn't mean daycare. Mom and baby groups, toddler reading day at your local library, play dates etc is a great way to help socialize also.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Really daycare to make friends did you even hear yourself as a newborn no less? There are plenty of ways to socialize your child and daycare is not high on that list. Daycare is for people who need to leave their children in the care of someone else for whatever reason. My children were never in daycare, but did attend half day preschool the year before they started kindergarten. They are now kindergarten and second grade now and have plenty of friends.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Many daycare centers or in-home daycares will take infants as young as six weeks old. But infants are pretty self-centered by nature. They're not ready to make friends as babies, and daycare will expose them to lots of germs. I put my daughter in preschool two mornings a week last year when she was three, and two full days and two half days this year, before she starts kindergarten, to help her make friends. There are kids in my neighborhood, but I wanted her to have some structured activities and free play with other kids when I wasn't right at her elbow. But before the age of three and a half, I felt sh did just fine at home with me. Staying home with your baby used to be looked on as the ideal; maybe that's changing, but it worked for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Many daycares start around 6 weeks but they do not start making friends and building true relationships with peers until closer to 2. That being said there are a million and two ways to help your child build relationships that do not include daycare... mommy and me classes, play groups, the playground, MOPs groups, gymnastic or dance classes, music and rhythm classes, the list could go on and on.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I do live in a neighborhood with no kids for anyone who asked!!!!!
    ravenclaw78

Comment by ravenclaw78 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2012

• If you are solely interested in socialization, try something like a mommy and me class, or, when my kids were younger, (around 1-2) I belonged to a local group on meetup.com and had playground playdates at least 3 days a week. Even just hitting the local playgrounds, you will meet people and your kid will meet kids. If you nurse, LLL meetings are nice for mom and kid to make friends too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2012