Is there any way...

I am 32 weeks pregnant and wanting to know if there is any way that they can tell how much your baby weights besides doing an ultrasound? I asked my midwife if I get to have any more ultrasounds and she said no, because I have already had two. I am measuring big and not wanting to have a 15 pound baby!LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Even an ultrasound can't tell you the weight...it just helps them estimate, and they're usually waaaaay. They told me my baby would be about 8.5 pounds...she was 7 pounds even. There's nothing you can really do about the size of the baby, so why worry? I highly doubt you'll have a 15 pound baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The ultrasound will be the best way to tell, but those can still be almost a pound off (either direction). If you are really concerned, find an ultrasound tech who will do it. You will have to pay for it our of pocket (which is probably why your midwife is not doing another one) and can run around $300. Is there a school that has a radiology tech program? If so, they sometimes have spaces for pregnant women to come in and get one for free. They may not be able to tell the weight though, it will depend on what they have learned so far and if their teacher is around or not.
    IZs_mommy

Answer by IZs_mommy at 12:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• man they were off by alot more than a pound for mine! they told me my son should be about 7.5lbs at birth according to the ultrasound and he was 10lbs! so even if they tell you the weight just take it all in stride. good luck you're almost there! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• if you have medical insurance, you can ask any doctors office to use your insurance to get an ultrasound, i dont know where you guys are getting your prices, things must be way higher where you are than they are here in iowa, i go to the perinatal center of iowa, which is a very highly renound doctors office, because i am a high risk case (3mcs and a twin pregnancy as well as short, and under 25) http://www.perinataliowa.com/people.htm#dawes thats the link to see the staff there, mandsager is my doc, and amy is my PA-C i love her to death lol she is awesome! all of the people under her i have seen at one time or another, most for ultrasounds, except for cindy johnson, fortunately i have never had to meet with her (she is a genetics counselor) anyways, they know i have no insurance and for my first doc visit which included an utrasound, urine sample, confirmation preg test, and bloodwork, it cost me LESS than $300, $278 i think
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 12:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The only way I have ever heard of was through an ultra sound
    LiLMomma702

Answer by LiLMomma702 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• docs and midwives can feel your baby and try to make a guesstimate...very inaccurate though :) i think it is just more for fun than anything. only way to tell for sure is when that little one is on the scale. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009