What do I do with my toddler who throws awful temper tantrums?

My daughter is a year and a half old. Recently, she's begun throwing temper tantrums, especially at night, screaming and throwing herself around with all her strength. We were weaning her from her night time bottles of milk (about THREE a night). That's when it really started. I had been working at it vigalantly until she came down with the flu and an ear infection right after. She was feeling so awful that for comfort we gave her a bottle back. She's starting to feel better now and even with two milk bottles (one at bedtime, one in the morning) and one or two water bottles a night, her temper tantrums have gotten worse. Much worse.

Now she throws a temper tantrum for everything. Getting her hair combed, taking a bath, getting water or juice instead of milk, sippy instead of bottle and much much more. She's keeping us up at night screaming. I don't know what to do with her. Nothing I've tried works. Any advice?

downspiral00

Asked by downspiral00 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter use to have temper tantrums I walked away. I let her have her tantrum without giving her any attention. Once she stopped I would hold her, hug her tell her that she needs to use her words that it's not okay to act that way. My daughter drank a bottle until she was two what I had to do was buy her "big girl cups" tell her that no more bottles, she helped me put her bottles in the trash on garbage pick up day. I later took her to TOY R US and let her pick out a toy. Later she wanted her bottle I reminded her that he trash man took it. I just kept on focusing on what a big girl she is and how proud I was of her. When she wanted a bottle I would give her a cuddle, read to her a book. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Well I started the 1 2 3 method she had up to 3 to stop, if she did not stop I put her in her room. I would check on her every few minutes ask if she is done, count to three, if she is still crying at three I walk away again and keep repeating the process. Mine is now three and honestly, the temper tantrum stage lasted a month max, the 1 2 3 worked wonders for the most part when she had her fits she would stop by the time I said three.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Some tantrums are "punishable" however, there are tantrums that are simply their way of expressing themselves. You have to decide which is which. I have 4 kids. My youngest is 2. I feel ya, honey. She hit the terrible two stage literally about 2 hours after her time of birth!!!! It has been almost 2 months now and it has faded quite a bit.
    johnsangel

Answer by johnsangel at 1:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009