What do you think when you see someone smoking while pregnant?

Do you say anything?

(This is just out of curiosity... I'm way past the pregnancy thing)....

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 9:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I do not actually think a whole lot about it for this reason. I had a friend who would smoke a 1/2 pack a day, every day without fail. When she got pregnant- unplanned- she was concerned about her ability to quit. She did not want to hurt the baby but she had tried to quit before and it made her physically ill, affected her attitude and her eating habits. Her plan had been to quit using something like the patch before getting pregnant. Anyway her ob told her that she should not use the patch or the gum but that her best advice was to cut back by one cig a day every week or so and try to get it to 4 or less a day. The reasoning- it would be more stressful on her body and thus her baby for her to try to quit cold turkey and the medications were riskier. She managed to have ti down to 3 a day by the time she was 5 months pregnant. I never thought ill of her. She was doing the best she could under the care and a of her OB
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Same thing when I see parents smoking in front of their kids (and other kids)- trash! This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I wouldn't be telling them anything they didn't already know. My first thought is "selfish cow"
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• sickening
    that poor baby!
    My mom smoked. I was 11 days late and weighed barely 5 lbs.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Disappointment that a cig is more important than the baby she's carrying.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I have only seen it once in recent memory and I was surprised at how shocked I felt.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Disgusted and, I'm sure my face shows it but, I don't say anything.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Of course I don't say anything! I don't know what to think. Better than doing street drugs I'm sure.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I cringe but I would never say anything.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I quit smoking with my Pregnancy's....I am no longer a smoker. I don't agree with smoking during pregnancy...... But I worked for an OBGYN and he would tell pt.s to cut down.... that it may cause to much stress and bad eating habits during pregnancy witch can be just as bad if not worse for the baby. My thought is if under the care with a professional who is telling them its safe. Who am I to judge? I am in no way saying I think its safe.... cause I don't.
    theresamarie77

Answer by theresamarie77 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2012