Are our priorities that messed up, or have we simply lost all concept of the value of our money?

Conversion rates for those unfamiliar:

That's approx $5.50 for the Starbucks and $1.50 for the song.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Money & Work

• No Starbucks for me and I get my music free..
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Oh, but I have never paid that much for anything from Starbucks...

Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I'm willing to pay for both (I always buy my music).

Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I very seldom drink Starbucks. However, I get your point and I agree.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• It is because people see the lavish lifestyles of some artists and think they are getting overpaid

Because, of course, every penny of it goes to the artist. The backing musicians, recording studio and its employees, distribution company and its employees ALL work for free

eye rolling

It is amazing the excuses people make up for breaking the law.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Quality vs. Quantity..
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 7:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Well, as I see it, I have more important things to do with my money than pay for music or an overpriced coffee. I make my own lattes at home (at least my version of a latte) and I mostly listen to the radio. My DH is the only one of us with an iPod and the last album/ song he downloaded was Eric church's Chief (really good album if you like country music) when it first came out.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• It is because people see the lavish lifestyles of some artists and think they are getting overpaid (especially when some don't even pay their taxes like the rest of us do) and because it's already available for free listening elsewhere (radio, youtube, etc.). I'd rather pay for a product that distributes the wealth a bit more than it all going mostly to one person but also think that coffee is way overpriced.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I bought two lattes the other day and with tip it was 10 bucks. TEN friggin' bucks.
    It actually makes my stomach turn. It is such a ripoff that I am ashamed to admit I paid it. Now, only on Fridays. I cannot justify it.
    I wonder if the every day latte people have added up the cost per month?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I only drink coffee at work for the same reason I don't pay for downloads. There's a way to get it for free.

Actually, I haven't pirated music in years. But I do only drink free coffee at work. AND it's Starbucks coffee.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2012