Peanut Co. owner urged shipping tainted products

WASHINGTON – The owner of a peanut company urged his workers to ship tainted products after receiving test results identifying salmonella, according to internal company e-mails disclosed Wednesday by a House committee.

The company e-mails obtained by the House panel showed that Peanut Corp. of America owner Stewart Parnell ordered the shipments tainted with the bacteria because he was worried about lost sales.

Parnell was ordered by subpoena to appear before Congress on Wednesday to discuss the outbreak that has led to 600 illnesses, eight deaths and one of the largest recalls in history, more than 1,800 products pulled. His Georgia plant is blamed for the outbreak.

here is the link:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_bi_ge/salmonella_outbreak

do others think this company should be shut down or at least sued for people getting sick?

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• well, personally, I think this man should be jailed. I would also heavily fine the company and OSHA should get their butts on top of this to get things fixed up.
    HOWEVER.. I do not believe we should shut down the plant, because we already have WAY too many lost jobs. A temporary shut down, and clean up is needed, but nothing permanate.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If they knowingly sent out tained products they should be sued, at the very least. Unfortunately the FDA is so busy sucking up to big pharma they are no use to the people anymore.

It is so sad that we are at a point in our country where profit is more important than people/customers.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• what ticks me off is the fact that i ate peanuts before it came out that they were tainted and got so sick that i had to spend to days in the hospital. i was glad that i did not give my kids any..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Wow. Yes, the company should be sued, but this owner should face criminal charges.

Heck, a girl from my high school made brownies full of laxatives for the cheerleading squad. Several of the cheerleaders ended up in the hospital, and the brownie-maker ended up with criminal charges. This man did something similar, but on a far grander scale that resulted in 8 deaths!!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Anyone who makes peanut butter knows that the majority of people who are going to eat this peanut butter or products made with that peanut butter will be children. In my opinion that makes him as bad as someone who walked into an elementary school and shot the children who died. He should be tried for mass murder (8 people).
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i really hope something is done about this and soon.
    knowingly shipping a tainted product is not only disgraceful but it's also criminal.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009