Do you know anyone with a child three or under who can read? how did they go about teaching them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why do you want to push it? For crying out loud, let them be a little kid!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I don't think kids that young SHOULD be reading.

My kids have fantastic vocabularies - they are read to constantly - they start attempting around 4.5-5 years old.

DON'T push them into it. Stuff like 'My baby can read' is a scam.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Mine could read by three. How? We read books together all the time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My daughter is six she started reading at five wish i would of taught her sooner so she would be even more advance now, i have a cousin who is 6 and she can read very long words and chapter books. My daughter has a great amount of words in her vocabulary, her teachers are doing good with her but i feel like when i was trying to teach her letter sounds and such and how to put them together to form a word i wasn't getting through to her as well.

Her brother is almost one and I would like to try to get him introduced to words and have him reading sight words and small words by three or four. My sisters son could read small words at about 2 1/2
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I read a lot with both my kids but my oldest was read to quite a lot and never picked up on it until she was 5 1/2 even word flash cards didnt' seem to help her. Now that she is in kindergarten she is doing great though, so i guess my teaching ability was the problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My oldest started reading at 3 yrs old (well 3.5). But, I never "taught" her. Around 3 she starting asking what certain words meant when she saw them. I would tell her & she just remembered. After 6 mos or so of that, she could read simple books and then progressed. She is now in Kindergarten & reading at a 2nd grade level. She is not common though. She shows signs of having a photographic memory and is being tested for the GT (Gifted & Talented) program.

My youngest, her baby sister, is 3 now and has not tried to figure out words yet. And, I am not going to push her. All children are different.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• It isn't a race. You don't get a prize. Quit competing with your family and just enjoy your children.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Their brains shouldn't be doing that so early. Skills are learned in sequences. Don't want to mess that up. My 3 year old can tell me all the words to all her books but only because she remembers from me reading so often. Let your kids grasp the right concepts at the right developmental stages and it will help them beyond measure compared to reading earlier.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I don't think it's a matter of your teaching ability or lack. I think it's about developmental stages & how learning happens.
    When you think about it, reading & letter recognition are very abstract. Same with numbers. It's symbolic representation. This symbol "is" or "means" that.
    Quantity is more concrete, but numbers are abstractions! Symbolic representation doesn't mean anything to young children. Learning happens best (most truly) when it comes from their initiative & emerges from their interests, their natural doing.
    Sure a young child can memorize facts & repeat them, but whether it is true "knowledge" is debatable.
    My daughter attends a progressive private school and prospective students visit & spend the day. My daughter once commented to me about a little kid who visited who knew a lot of "math facts" but insisted that 2+2=4 and did not believe that 3+1 could equal 4. This is rote memorization, not grasping a concept!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• thanks for your answers. I just want my kids to have a good head start and be intelligent and progress well through school. I am not racing or competing with my uncles child or my sisters child, I was just pointing out that they were that age when they did said tasks.

I just wanted a little help on how I could encourage them to try and read more on their own and understand letter sounds etc. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2012