Are you a consequentialist?

Do your decisions involve the accounting for the possible good coming out of an immoral act. For example there are those that justify the Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagaski
Do you believe that the ‘the right action’ is the action which produces the best possible consequences"?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 12:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I've always been taught that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were terrorist attacks...

This is a great question.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I live my life by a moral code but many time things are not cut and dried and decisions have to be made. In those I assume I am a consequentioalist.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I can see the attraction to a consequentialist point of view. I struggle a bit with this. Can a happy ending justify an evil means?
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I've read to articles over the last couple of days on this subject. One was about unmanned drones and one was about Hiroshima. With the innocents killed in Hiroshima, deliberately and with forethought. Is is less evil than soldiers going in with bayonets and individually killing or wounding all the innocents that were killed? Is it more acceptable if it's done from a distance or is it more evil because not much thought or reaction to consequences is seen from high in the sky or a base where the drone is released?

adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• That wasn't just killing people. It poisoned the air,the ground, the water, the unborn,and future generations

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I have ALWAYS lived by the motto - What we are is Gods Gift to US, what we become is our Gift to God!
    I have even taught my children to believe that in life if you do the right thing making the right choices you have nothing to worry about.
    It's the others who have to face the consequences of their actions because they CHOSE not to do the right thing - sad but true, and in the end they regret not thinking of the consequences of their actions
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

>>
    This really isn't a Hiroshima debate, it's a moral debate. As to whether the greater good that some think came from that was worth the evil that occurred.
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

>>>
    That wasn't the question. What criteria is used to make those decisions? Does the ends justify the means? Meaning if an evil act results in a satisfactory ending, does the ending justify the evil used to get there?
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• So we won that war,but poisoned the world.
    How is that a good thing coming out of a bad thing?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

>>
    Nevermind
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2012