Are you a consequentialist?

Do your decisions involve the accounting for the possible good coming out of an immoral act. For example there are those that justify the Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagaski
Do you believe that the ‘the right action’ is the action which produces the best possible consequences"?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 12:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• My father, who landed on the beaches of Normandy, always said that the bombs were dropped just to see if they'd work. I realize this isn't a Hiroshima thread but I found that interesting, coming from a man who was in the thick of WWII.

This is really, if you think about it, a very deep question. Who determines what is "evil"? It is a religious code? A moral code? A determination made by what is best for society as a whole? Is every major decision involving life, limb and human rights a sort of contained issue that is limited to the situation in which the decision is made?

We all have our own moral codes, whether they are driven by religion or not. My definition of "evil" may be significantly different than the person next to me.

Short answer, I have no idea how to answer this question lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• That was a bad act, that decades later appeared to produce a good result.

However, this is interesting. I mean, say one could go back in time & take out Hitler as a baby. Killing an infant, is a horrible act but, one that could save thousands of lives and, stop a war from occurring.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I've always been taught that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were terrorist attacks...

This is a great question.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I live my life by a moral code but many time things are not cut and dried and decisions have to be made. In those I assume I am a consequentioalist.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• if you could kill someone you don't know in order to save your child from being killed, would you? That would bring a positive result from a negative one.....

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Preventing China's escalation is the argument given to people, this decision, like all others made by governments, was about money. Debating the ethical impact of events like this is entirely academic, because the ethics being debated had no bearing on the real decision, only in how people make their own peace with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I think the bombing was wrong. I do however try to understand it from the perspective of the people living through the events at the time.  It's easy for me to sit back and say it was wrong, I'm not living through WWII, my son isn't being drafted, my family members haven't died, I don't have the images of a destroyed Europe affecting my judgement.  It was wrong, but it's easy to say it now.  I can understand how fear could make it seem necessary at the time, I wouldn't have wanted to be dragged into a war with Japan either.  It really would have felt like the end of the world.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• That wasn't just killing people. It poisoned the air,the ground, the water, the unborn,and future generations

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• What good came from Hiroshima and could that good have been accomplished a less destructive route? For anything you take the information at hand and if all choices have possible bad outcomes and side effects you choose the one that gets the MOST good with the LEAST amount of damage.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I guess I am. I think doing something immoral is never something I would want to do but this is an evil, imperfect world. Is it immoral to steal for a hungry child? Is it immoral to kill if you are threatened? Is it immoral to launch a preemptive strike to keep an enemy in check before all out war breaks out? I think we have to do the best with what we have and accept that there are certain evils in this life.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2012