What kind of birth control works best for you?

I just had a baby, and definitely don't want another one right now! I took pills before, but I'm so forgetful that I'm afraid I will get pregnant.

But I'm scared of getting the shot, I don't know why but it freaks me out, and the IUD doesn't sound like something I want either.

What do you use and what side effects does it cause?

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 12:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Health

• vasectomy
    none

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I wish my husband would get a vasectomy, but he won't, and they won't tie my tubes because of my age :(
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• We do not use any contraceptives of any kind - we basically follow my menstral cycle and I know when I oviulate and so we know when and when not to.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Mirena (IUD) Its good for 5 years, it takes 5 minutes to put in and and there is no pain of any sort. The side effects for the first few months (2-4) are that your period may be irregular. Example: month 1 your period may last for at least 2 weeks, month 2: your period may last for 2 days.. month 3: your period may last for 1-2 days but it's so light you don't even need a tampon/pad. Month 4: No period and so forth. Basically, your period will end up vanishing by the time you've had it in for almost a year.
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 12:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I use the pill. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to take it everyday.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Abstinence, frustration
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I have been on: Yaz, Seasonique, Ortho Lo, Enpresse, The Patch, and now have the Mirena

Side Effects:

Yaz- heart palpitations, violent vomiting, blackouts, weight loss

Seasonique- blackouts, heavy periods, cramping, random spotting

Ortho-lo: insane mood swings, acne, heavy periods,

Enpresse- See above

The Patch- I am allergic to the patch.

Mirena- I have had my mirena about 16 months, I did have bleeding for about 4 months straight after it was placed, but over time my periods have gotten lighter. I have had some trouble losing weight, I seem to be stalled no matter what I do. slight acne, cramping, and rarely break through bleeding. Overall this birth control has worked the best for me.
    shesliketx

Answer by shesliketx at 12:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Are you breastfeeding? I was on the depot shot in high school and it made me gain weight and become suicidal. When not breastfeeding I had desogen the pill and never got pregnant. If you are breastfeeding I suggest a progesterin only, I think, pill or an Iud. My SO chimed in and said you just take the wee wee and put it in your mouth. I suppose that is helpful info as well...
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• ^^^LOL! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• no i'm not breasfeeding, and lol no thanks on that one :)
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2012