How long should you keep.....

Important documents, Like Bank statements, credit card statements and Bill payment receipts. I want to clean out my filing cabinets with out tossing something important away i might need later.

YamahaGoddess

Asked by YamahaGoddess at 12:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I keep everything for 3 yrs. One way to cut down the clutter is scan everything in and put it onto a CD or flash drive.

Answer by gemgem at 12:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I shred all my important documents/bills. I only keep the last bill I payed. I  shred all the bank stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think there is a certain amount of time, like three years and seven for taxes. Call an accountant and ask them.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• From what I've learned from the hubby's g-ma who is an CPA you're supposed to keep all statements, receipts, etc for 7 years.

To keep down on the clutter I'd go with what the other poster said about scanning them and saving them to disk.
    Sarebare

Answer by Sarebare at 2:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I keep everything for 7 to 10 yeas for taxes
    Synaura

Answer by Synaura at 6:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2009