Have you ever been snubbed?

I'm walking into DS's school to pick him up and I see one of the mom's from DD's class. I smile at her, she looks up from the mom she's chatting with, gives me the up and down, then starts talking to that mom again without so much as a teeny acknowledgement to me. I'm thinking, Are you kidding me? I'm not dressed to the nines like I was going to work/out like her (me: yoga pants, winter coat, slip-on shoes all of which looked completely presentable). But still....? I was very taken aback, especially since she & I have made small talk before and I have only ever been nice to her. What do you do/think if/when someone does this to you?

Chocolatespring

Asked by Chocolatespring at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Relationships

• I wouldn't think much of it, really.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I sure wouldn't be talking to her in the future.

Answer by louise2 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Maybe she was in deep thought & didn't realize she did that & didn't say hi. Has she done that before? I wouldn't take it personally unless it was a regular occurrence. Then I would ignore her too. Just smile & walk by. People have a lot of stuff going on during the holidays & I know that I am definitely NOT "on my game" lately.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Maybe she was in deep conversation. You should have waited a second and approached her with a "hi"
    Or maybe she is that kind of a person and you just don't know her well enough yet?
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Eh, I'd let it go. If she made small talk again with me I'd probably small talk right back and leave it at that. I have a hard time recognizing people I've met before briefly, especially if I don't have my glasses. It can be very embarrassing. Maybe that's what happened.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• oh sure
    it comes with the territory of having a special needs kid
    Some parents act like the disability is catching,and that I'm some sort of freak for having a kid like this
    I've tried to share in a conversation between all the parents and gotten looks like I just let out a rancid fart,and had them turn their back on me
    Only one class mom speaks to me,but her kid has ODD

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I have selective sight and hearing and I have an oily back. I don't see or hear lots of things ad crap slides right off without me even caring.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Happens to me all the time. While I pretend I don't care, it still hurts. I just don't let anyone see anymore.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I always assume a persons rudeness is a reflection on them....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Oh, I hate that!
    That's the kind of situation where I give the benefit of the doubt. I have the feeling I've done things like that to others (when it might look like I'm looking at them/noticing them, but I'm absorbed in a thought/conversation or just in my own "headspace" for whatever reason) and it has not been intentional. There are lots of possible reasons that something that absolutely feels one way to you or me may not really BE that way, in terms of what the other person intended or was doing. (Including not recognizing or placing a face, not remembering a name, not seeing clearly, being lost in thought & behaving automatically, etc.)
    I try to feel my feelings but know that they are about me (and my reactions) rather than being "about" what is actually happening. My feelings are products of my thoughts, beliefs & assumptions (also past experiences & hurts.)
    Feeling snubbed is different from having been snubbed.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2012