For Moms who breastfed while pregnant

I'm pregnant and breastfeeding my 8 month old. I plan to bf throughout my pregnancy.
My question is will this effect my colostrum coming in?
I'm not sure if I'm going to need to stop bf my oldest for a time before I deliver so my body can prepare for colostrum, or if I'll have to stop bf after delivery for a few days while I'm producing colostrum. Please give me some information about your experience. Any input is appreciated.

MicahsMom612

Asked by MicahsMom612 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm 39 weeks pregnant, nursing a 23 month old. I got colostrum around 35 weeks. Nusing won't effect that at all. Your mature milk should still come in a few days after birth. It doesn't run out, it's more of a hormonal thing.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• colostrum actually is present every time you breastfeed, it is present for about a half ounce to an ounce overall in between feeding times, so you dont have to stop bfing, and if you have a good flow, i wouldnt reccomend it, keep doing what you are doing, women have been doing this for years, and there is no need to worry. yes, colostrum is extremely potently present right after babys birth when your milk naturally comes in rather than when it has been comming in, but either way, baby will be just fine. if however you want to stop bfing older bb then do so, when its time, and wait to bf until new baby is here. its really a matter of choice, neither decision will have much affect on baby.
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 12:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Go ahead and keep breastfeeding. No reason to stop at all!

Im currently breastfeeding my 17 month old and if she wants to keep nursing, she will continue to do so throughout my pregnancy.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2009