Dafuq? Is this where my tax dollars are going?

Lol saw this Article:

Researchers at Toshiba’s Akimu Robotic Research Institute were thrilled ten months ago when they successfully programmed Kenji, a third generation humanoid robot, to convincingly emulate certain human emotions. At the time, they even claimed that Kenji was capable of the robot equivalent of love. Now, however, they fear that his programming has taken an extreme turn for the worst.

“Initially, we were thrilled to see a bit of our soul come alive in this so called ‘machine,’” said Dr. Akito Takahashi, the principal investigator on the project. “This was really the final step for us in one of the fundamentals of the singularity.”

womanrobotcor 450x350 Robot Programmed to Fall in Love with a Girl Goes too Far

Kenji was part of an experiment involving several robots loaded with custom software designed to let them react emotionally to external stimuli. After some limited environmental conditioning, Kenji first demonstrated love by bonding with a a stuffed doll in his enclosure, which he would embrace for hours at a time. He would then make simple, but insistent, inquiries about the doll if it were out of sight. Researchers attributed this behavior to his programmed qualities of devotion and empathy and called the experiment a success.

What they didn’t count on were the effects of several months of self-iteration within the complex machine-learning code which gave Kenji his initial tenderness. As of last week, Kenji’s love for the doll, and indeed anybody he sets his ‘eyes’ on, is so intense that Dr. Takahashi and his team now fear to show him to outsiders.

The trouble all started when a young female intern began to spend several hours each day with Kenji, testing his systems and loading new software routines. When it came time to leave one evening, however, Kenji refused to let her out of his lab enclosure and used his bulky mechanical body to block her exit and hug her repeatedly. The intern was only able to escape after she had frantically phoned two senior staff members to come and temporarily de-activate Kenji.

“Despite our initial enthusiasm, it has become clear that Kenji’s impulses and behavior are not entirely rational or genuine,” conceded Dr. Takahashi.

Ever since that incident, each time Kenji is re-activated, he instantaneously bonds with the first technician to meet his gaze and rushes to embrace them with his two 100kg hydraulic arms. It doesn’t help that Kenji uses only pre-recorded dog and cat noises to communicate and is able to vocalize his love through a 20 watt speaker in his chest.

Dr. Takahashi admits that they will more than likely have to decommission Kenji permanently, but he’s optimistic about one day succeeding where Kenji failed.

“This is only a minor setback. I have full faith that we will one day live side by side with, and eventually love and be loved by, robots,” he said.

http://realitypod.com/2010/10/robot-programmed-to-fall-in-love-with-a-girl-goes-too-far/#ixzz2CPzsVFbT

I dunno it just made me laugh.... so anybody want a robot lover? Lmao!

Nicky2911

Asked by Nicky2911 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in General Parenting

• I don't know... I see pros and cons. The biggest being a pro because I could just deactivate him after we're done and viola... no one to feed, take care of etc....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Hey don't laugh. Didn't you figure the 1st android would be a sex bot?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Hell if he can fold the laundry afterwards I might just be interested...

Nicky2911

Comment by Nicky2911 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• You might want to move this question to Current Events

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• LOL! First of all I think it's BS. Not that eventually it won't happen (robots/computers thinking like humans). When in fact it does become affordable/mainstream. I bet the first robot is a woman. Every Man's dream!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Oh yes please.
    People really scare me
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Ignoring for a moment that the story is a debunked hoax, what exactly does the research and development team of a Japanese electronics company have to do with your tax dollars?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Lol it was a joke... it was just meant to be funny. I'm not actually under the impression that tax dollars are being spent on making love dolls.... >.>

Nicky2911

Comment by Nicky2911 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Why is this in general parenting.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2012