Help advice on starting a diet/exercise program.....

So I had a baby over a year ago now and although I havent necessarily been trying to loose the rest of the baby weight I hadnt been gaining either. Now in the past month it seems like Ive been gaining weight and I need to make a change before it gets out of control. Im not extremely overweight but I am enough that I'm unhappy with myself. I have no problem eating healthy my problem is I live in a small town where organic or a large supply of healthy foods are not in large supply. I was thinking of starting with Zumba or 10 Min Trainer for a workout but as far as healthy snacks Id eat them Im just not good at coming up with what to make. Anyone know of any good websites that could help with this or have any advice. Thanks

mylilboy00

Asked by mylilboy00 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• drink plenty of water
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2012

• I was also going to tell you about ^^^ Sparkpeople.com ...it's a good site to help with any diet or exercise program!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Great web site anad it's FREE:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Lb128f

Answer by Lb128f at 11:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Motivation is EVERYTHING. You need to know why you want to do this and make it a priority. Secondly, sign up for weightwatchers online. It's about as complete as you can get for teaching you how to eat right and helping you get active.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Thinking long term is what's best. I would eat 5 small meals a day and just starting with walking a mile or two a day will help keep your weight in control. If you want to tone up intervals work wonders. I never do extremes Zumba is fun but if your not doing some type or exercise 5 days a week I feel it's pointless.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Try to find an exercise you can enjoy and stick with. But just make it realistic given who you really are - unreasonable goals won't help in the long run. I like classes at the gym when possible (peer pressure keeps me from slacking), walking more and some gentle yoga before bed (helps me relax). And start small with little changes to your diet. I started focusing on eating more - more fruits and veggies. Then cut back on junk, etc. I like fruit and protein combos for snacks (have a mighty sweet tooth): greek yogurt with fresh or frozen berries and a drop of honey, almonds and apples, etc. There are lots of magazines that can give you inspiration (Fitness, Health, etc.) Think of it as a long-term process, and don't be afraid of setbacks. If you have a "bad" day or week, just shrug it off and start again.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• And don't make any certain food forbidden - let yourself have treats! Cut out as much sugar (especially refined) and sodium as you possibly can. Plenty of lean protein as well.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Organic & special health foods aren't necessary. Plenty of fruits & veggies in a variety of colors, water to drink (cut out pop and any other sweetened drinks you may consume - whether real or fake sweetened), replace whites with browns (whole wheat flour/bread//pasta/etc), brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains, and whatever exercise you like - just mix it up between cardio and strength training. Don't worry about the # on the scale - worry about the inches. You can lose inches by burning fat and building/toning muscle but not lose an ounce - and that's okay!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2012