How much can I expect to pay to get a chair re-upholstered?

I have two rocking recliners. One is only ten years old and already falling apart, so I'm not going to bother fixing it. But the other one is at least forty years old, perhaps more. It's made with real wood arms, and it's bomb proof. I can remember my aunt having it in her family room when I was just a little kid, and I've had it for a good ten years myself. I've daydreamed about updating the upholstery, having the springs in the chair tightened, and having the arms refinished to get rid of the mark where my cousin and my parrot both chewed on the wood. How much could I expect to pay? Unless it's really prohibitively expensive, I think it might be a better choice than buying a new chair, given that the newe one I have is already falling apart.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I would say probably more like $500 to a $1000, depending on the fabric, and the details of the chair. If it has any tufting, etc., and that would just be the re-upholstery not refinishing any wood.

Of course, it probably depends on where you live as well. I had a couple of wing back chairs that I wanted re-upholstered, not very big, no refinishing, and they wanted $450 a piece in Wyoming.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• The newer one - any chance it's a La-Z-Boy? If so, they usually repair them for free (well, a few dealers in my area do anyway).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• 150 to 300 depending on th fabric
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2012