Why on Earth does a Fire Safety Course need to be FIVE hours long??

OMG. I have to go in on a Saturday to my job (child care center) for required fire safety training. I was shocked that i goes form 9-2!! What on Earth about this can take that long!! I don't even get to be on the clock!! lol. I sure hope we get out early.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Money & Work

• I hated HATED these classes in the hospital. You had to learn about every single kind of fire; electrical, paper, wood, chemical....how to recognize them, how to put them out blah blah blah

It was like poking myself in the eye with a pencil. A lot.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Also, you'll probably get out early. I'm sure of it. :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I guess it all depends, but when I was a volunteer firefighter and EMT, we attended those training courses constantly. They were very long, and very boring. They will probably go over all the sources of fire and the different ways to put specific fires out as well as any emergency training you might need.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My husband and I have had these classes and have had to use them, I was so thankful we knew what to do. I got paid for my time but he did not.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• LOL! Sorry!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Do they also give a refresher in burn first aid or CPR with the class? Maybe that's what takes so long.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Do they have an hour for lunch planned in the middle or anything? Time waster if they do IMO ;o)
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• When I used to work as a safety coordinator, our courses were long because we had to go over all the different kinds of fires our employees might face, how to put them out, how to work a fire extinguisher and how to know which extinguisher to use (if one at all), and after all that was done, we made everyone demonstrate that they knew how to use the extinguisher. That was the longest part, because we had to start a fire, and then they had to put it out. And of course, you have to make sure you do it safely, so that makes it time consuming.

We usually got done early, though, so hopefully you will, too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I remember taking that. If I remember correctly it didn't quite last 5 hours. Is Michael Weber teaching the class?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I can't even accept the fact that a company can make a meeting "mandatory--without pay"

I'd be looking into this.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 10:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2012