ok, the age old pacifier dilemma

so my son is turning one in a couple of weeks and he still takes a pacifier but i think that one is probably a good age to ween him off of that. it always bothers me when he tries to talk with it in his mouth, like he would get better practice without one. is one the right age? and what methods did you use to ween your baby off his/her pacifier? thanks!

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 12:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm probably going to be seen as mean but I'd just take it away to be honest with you. Explain it to him that he's a big boy now and the bink is going bye bye. Have a little going away party for it, get him excited about not having it. Replace it with something else you know he'll REALLY like (a "big boy toy.") If he cries for his pacifier, remind him of his new "big boy toy" and pacifiers are for babies so he doesn't need it anymore. I plan on having my son off of his pacifier before he's one. I really don't like them. My friend's son is two and just got his taken away. After having it for two years, he was really upset about it. Whenever I go over, he's trying to take my 10 week old's pacifier away and suck on it lol. He searches my diaper bag, my carrier...I'm frisked walking through the door. If she had taken it away YEARS ago, it wouldn't have gotten this bad.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't believe in pacifiers. So no comment.

Answer by louise2 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• At least wean him off it during the day. Make it just a sleepy time thing and then later deal with that. I don't like kids that age using pacis all day long, so unneccessary.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• uh....
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i dont like pacifiers either and unfortunately with my last one the hospital gave it to her the whole time we were there without my knowledge so she was hooked i let her have it for the first couple months and took it and threw it out. no problem. yes you should think about getting rid of it as soon as you can. throw it away.and dont look back
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• ok perhaps i should rephrase, how do i get him to stop using it? has anyone who has actually used a pacifier had any successful methods? ive heard of cutting a hole in the end of it but i would like to hear if anyone has done that and it worked for them. or anything else that has worked for them. thanks
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• jodi, that's what happened to us too. He was whisked off to the nursery after birth and brought back to my room a couple of hours later during which point they had given him formula, a pacifier and most of his immunizations without asking me for permission for any of it first.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i agree with november when he doesnt have it and isn't paying attention take it and throw it away. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009