Book Series for a 6 year old?

My mom wants to get DD started with a book series that captures her interest, has a female main character, etc. She wants them to be chapter books, but easy enough she doesn't get frustrated. I plan on starting it as a parent-child activity with her getting more and more involved in the book. I loved reading as a kid, and I typically was always ahead for reading level so the books I had suggested and/or loved in 1st grade are actually 2nd and 3rd grade level.

Ones she's read about on Amazon:
Clementine, Ivy and Beans, Judy Moody, Ramona, Babysitter Club Little Sisters, Box Car Children,

Anyone have any input/experience or recommendations (from the list or gladly others as well)?

LoveBuggsMommie

Asked by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I remember both Ramona and Babysitter Club from when I was a kid. I loved those books! How well does your daughter read? Would 2nd and 3rd grade level be merely a challenge or would they be truly difficult for her? If they'd only be a challenge, how does she respond to challenges? It might be worth it, if she responds well and could rise to it. Even if she doesn't, if you start it as a mom/daughter thing, you can read to her and help her, and she might get to the point where she can read them on her own pretty quickly.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• The Amelia Bedelia series was fun. The Beverly Cleary Romona books are great. Not a female protag, but Encyclopedia Brown was always a favorite of mine.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My kids loved the magic treehouse series in elementary school. I also read the little house on the prairie series with my dd starting when she was in 2nd grade.

Answer by missanc at 9:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Junie B. Jones. Ivy + Bean is slightly older, IMO, my 4th grader reads them and they're really not too young for her. The Little House books. Judy Moody is good but also slightly old for her IMO. I'm drawing a blank - my girls are 1st, 4th, and 5th grades - if you need more suggestions inbox me (cuz I probably won't remember to look back here) I can ask them what they read in school.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My daughter loved The Magic treehouse Books
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My dd has read all of those and more (she is 9 now). She LOVES the Little House on the Prairie books, but those might be a little harder for a 6yo. What about American Girl books? they are fun and historical, we have several of those sets as well. I'm not a big fan of Junie B. Jones but Judy Moody and Ramona books are great and of course *I* still love reading the Boxcar Children and Babysitter's Club books! LOL.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My daughter enjoys me reading her the fairy books. With tinker bell, rosetta, fawn and all of the other characters.
    tyner_brylee

Answer by tyner_brylee at 12:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• All of these listed area about what seems to be available. Judy Moody, Junie B, Magic Treehouse, Flat Stanley, Ready Freddy...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Magic Tree House, Fancy Nancy, Boxcar Children (my personal favorite), and The Jewel Fairies come to mind....
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 1:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Junie B. Jones a a hit at home i have 3 kids 7,6,4 they all love it
    ksantana494

Answer by ksantana494 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2012