What should I do for my sick toddler

He's 3 and this morning I could tell something was wrong because he wanted me to cuddle him and I brought him to daycare thinking he was alright but when I came to pick him up he was laying on the floor and when he saw me (which he looked miserable and sad and white) he wanted to be held so I picked him up and he threw up .. His teachers said he didn't eat any lunch.. He basically threw up water ... Soo since I brought him home he kept throwing up water .. And then he started throwing up nothing ... I've been afraid to give him anything ... I layed him down and he's been in bed since 7 .. I'm afraid to wake him up because I know he needs his rest .. And he didn't take a nap :( I feel like I'm not doing enough.. Should I wake him up for some water or crackers? I'm not sure what to do :( I'm also starting to feel sick which I hope I'm not because I'm pregnant and I really need to take care of him ... Any advice on what to give him or what to do?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Health

• I wouldn't wake him, but when he is awake make sure he is drinking fluids even if they don't stay down. Give your pediatrician a call in the morning.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Let him sleep. Once he does wake up give him fluids, but don't let him drink much at a time - as long as he hasn't thrown up again, start with a teaspoon every 10-15 minutes as long as he keeps it down. After a couple of hours increase it a little. If he vomits, wait an hour before giving him anything and start the process over. Don't give him anything to eat if he's not keeping fluids down. If he keeps vomiting and can't keep any liquid down, don't wait terribly long before taking him in - little ones can dehydrate quickly.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My little boy was like that earlier this week. I let him sleep for about 2 hrs, and then i got him to eat a saltine cracker, about a tbl spoon of water, another saltine, tbl spoon water and so on for about 30 mins. I gave him the perscribed amount of pepto and layed him bak down. I go em into the doctor the next morning, she said he had stomach virus, got his medicine, 3 days later he doing ok, a little groggy sometimes
    Brittany D.

Answer by Brittany D. at 10:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• When he wakes up, try giving him ginger ale, a sip at a time, or Pedialite if you have any. Water is hard on a sick tummy. If he won't take the ginger ale, let him suck on a Popsicle.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• We had a 24 hr stomach bug last week. Just let it run its course. I let mine suck on ice chips or nibble crackers if they felt like it. They quit vomiting after a couple of hours and rest is best. If he isn't better by morning, call the dr. When my 3 yr old had it, I did, too. I slept on the couch and he slept in the recliner with a trash can handy. But we did that so I could be close to him without waking the other kids or DH and I could still rest myself. The next morning after I was sure he wouldn't throw up again, he moved to his bed and I lysoled the heck out of the den.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2012