What to bring my recuperating friend?

My 55 year old best friend was in the hospital for 2 weeks with a bad wound infection (after falling and scraping her ankle). She's been home for 2 days and sounds so depressed! She's diabetic and says she doesn't feel like eating. She's got a drain in her foot that I haven't seen and she has to go to the hospital every day for an IV antibiotic. She's walking with a cane. She can't take a shower yet. She's tired, she's sick of it and she's feeling sorry for herself. Without spending a ton of money, can you think of anything I can bring to her to cheer her up?

She's single, has a 26 yr son who is working a lot and going to school, so he's not around much. I am going to be driving her to and from the hospital all weekend for her meds....what else, what else? Thanks for any ideas!

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Health

• Does she like to read or watch movies? Maybe a good book or a chick flick would take her mind off her situation. Or maybe a card game or a board game you could play together.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Maybe a far side book, deck of cards, handheld video game (poker, slots, dominos), puzzle book like crosswords or word searches and of course a nice get well card.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Magazines?

Answer by missanc at 10:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Good suggestions ladies, keep 'em coming! I brought her a Readers Digest and a Peoples' magazine in the hospital. I want to tempt her with food. She "said" she ate well in the hospital, probably because it was being served to her! Maybe I'll call a restaurant to deliver to her in a couple of days. I invited her over for Thanksgiving, but I doubt she'll feel like coming. We'll see about that!
    kjrn79

Comment by kjrn79 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Offer to wash her hair for her and take her some meals that you know will stick with her diet but be tasty and easy to just heat up.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I would take her out for a nice lunch or two. Then maybe get your nails or hair done! Bring her magazines & rent some movies for her. Help her keep her mind off of things. Maybe do a grocery shopping trip for her too. Hope she feels better soon.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Bring her Southern living Magazine
    maybe some soup from Pananera
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 1:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• You're so sweet. I'm glad she has a friend like you. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will mean a lot to her:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Thanks a lot for the "sweet" comment. :)
    My brother and SIL live 1000 miles away, my friend and I have been friend's for 40 years. She's just like my sister, even though she plenty of her own siblings. I started getting invited to THEIR kids (her nieces/nephews) weddings. LOL. I'm part of the family!
    kjrn79

Comment by kjrn79 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2012