Does my preschooler have a learning disorder?

My little boy is 4 1/2 yrs old. In preschool, but we've been teaching him things such as his colors, numbers, and shapes sense he was a baby. We had a teacher conference the other day, his teacher is concerned and i've noticed the things she has as well. One second he'll know a color then the next he acts as though he honestly doesnt know what that color is. One second he'll count to five or 10, even 13. But then he cant count even the number 1. I DONT UNDERSTAND!!! I've researched and none of this is a sign of Autism. I need help! i try so hard to make learning fun but he just.... frustrats me in the end. Please help me!

Brittany D.

Asked by Brittany D. at 10:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It must be really hard to see your son struggling, especially when you know he can often do the things he seems to sometimes have a hard time with. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about a learning disorder yet, but if testing is offered by your school district, it might not hurt to take advantage of it. Still, know that some of it is probably just the changing whims of preschoolers, who can be on board with you one moment and somewhere completely different the next. Maybe stop trying so hard for a while. Just spend some fun time with your son, doing something he knows and likes, till both of you relax. Pushing educational goals when you're frustrated won't work now, or when he's older, either.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• In all seriousness, have you ever thought.. You may be frustrating him? It may just be the signs of a typical 4 year old that does/says things when they want to not when they are forced/told to do so. I had this problem with my daughter a couple years ago as well (she was 4) My first instinct was to go to her primary care and try to 'fix' something before it became a problem. I was told that it was not fair to have a child evaluated that early unless there were serious signs that something was wrong for her age category. As time went by.. I realized that, I was the problem, I was frustrating her, her teachers were frustrating her to the point were she knew the answer to something but for some reason became unsure of herself and would act like she didn't know the answer. Now, there is nothing wrong. I honestly now think it may just be related to teaching methods.
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 12:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• IMO he just sounds like a kid being a kid. My son is 5 1/2, in kindergarten, and is the same way - one day he seems to struggle to count to ten, the next I'll hear him counting under his breath to 100. His teacher says the same thing in class - one day he'll know something, the next he'll seem not to. In my son's case - if he's asked to do something or feels pressured, he "can't" do it - if he's doing it on his own, randomly, he'll exceed expectations. My girls were the same way at that age. Let him be a kid, teach him in ways that he doesn't feel like he's being taught, don't pressure him, and he'll be fine. Teachers can recognize the signs of a true learning disability - and your son doesn't have one IMO.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• my daughter does the same thing and she pretends she doesn't know something on purpose because she thinks its silly. she does that all the time. I know what you are saying though. but don't pressure him in knowing something on the fly. it's ok if he doesn't know it one minute and knows it the next. he is 4. enjoy this time. he has alot of years that he has to know things under presure. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• He's bored.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• As a preschool teacher, I see a lot of our 3-5 year olds do the same thing. It's mostly when they are frustrated with us asking them over and over again what they already know. He knows the skill and is bored with having to keep repeating it. Time to move on to another skill.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2012