Braille at the Drive-Thru

As I drove up to the drive through ATM this morning I realized there was braille on the atm. Now I can understand why it's located on the atms that are inside, but.. at the drive-thru?

*this post is not meant to be offensive*

MsViv

Asked by MsViv at 12:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2012 in Just for Fun

• First of all, the machines are made just alike because they're installed all over, at drive-throughs, in banks, stores, etc. So when a machine is ordered, it doesn't have to be specially made for a drive-through versus somewhere else.

Secondly, a lot of blind people, who obviously don't drive, rely heavily on taxis or rides from their friends, family, or carpooling coworkers. Would you want to give some cab driver or colleague your PIN number?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Hey Ballad....good point, I never thought of that! Duh! I always wondered the same thing. Same with the pharmacies being alllllll the way i back of some stores. Like Meijers. Its a hike in a half when you are sick, and just want to sleep somewhere.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• It's required by law per the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Lol, it is really crazy, law or no law.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• It's not crazy, they only manufacture the keypads with braille on them. So if you want an ATM, it's got braille on the keypad regardless of where you place the machine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• It probably struck you as strange when in a drive through, but wouldn't be as strange if it were a walk up. I would say mass production is the key.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• It looks strange but is what others says they made them all the same
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 11:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Yeah I have noticed that also must be standard on all ATMs
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• What I think is strange is when they put braille next to doors for room numbers, but it isn't standardized on the left or the right, or on the door itself, so you don't know where to check for it. Sometimes it's placed above the door where you can't reach it anyway. And once in a while--my brother swiped a sign from a place because it was so stupid he had to save it and show people--it was a perfectly smooth sign with pictures of braille dots on it, but nothing that could be read by touch. Or they'll put braille on the keypads for ATM's but not install or activate the speech part of the machine so you can hear what the screen says and know what to enter when. It's a good start--twenty years ago or so there was no braille anywhere at all--but the designers of machines and buildings should ask braille readers to contribute to their plans and test them out afterward.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2012