my son will be 2 this june...

i tried talking to my husband about finding a preschool for him so he'd be ready for kindergarten but my husband feels that i should be able to teach him the things he needs to know! the problem is i dont know what he needs to know!! i need help!! any suggestions on how i can teach my son what he needs to know before entering kindergarten?!
I kind of wanted to put him in a preschool so he can get other social interactions other than family and so that i can go back to school and work sooner!!

Elyse23

Asked by Elyse23 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• His ABCs, how to count to ten (or at least be able to make an attempt), writing his name would be a plus, telephone number and address, etc. My son did not go to preschool and he thrives in Kindergarten. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• In longitudinal studies, it's been proven that preschool doesn't have a long term effect on a child's academic progress. The effects subside after the child is in 3rd grade.
    2 is really way too early for babies to be put in preschool, he's much better off with his mommy. He can get social interaction at Church, in play groups, at the park. He doesn't need to be in preschool to get that.
    Value the time you have with him now! I know you want to get back to work, but for everything there's a season and now's the season to be your son's mommy.
    ABC's, coloring, counting, fine motor skills. There's not a whole lot they need to get prepared. Try calling the kindergarten you plan on placing him in and see if they can give you some information as to what you should do to prepare him. They should be more than happy to help
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yes, i totally agree with MicahsMom612 that 2yrs is too early for preschool, i was thinking around 3yrs or closer to 4yrs!! i just like to be prepared!! lol
    thanks for the help so far!!
    Elyse23

Answer by Elyse23 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• They do sell tons of Preschool workbooks in most stores that sell kids books.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It's okay to wait a little while longer. My son will be 4 in July & I'm just now putting him in a class this March. He will only be going 1 day a week for 2 hours for his social meeting. I took my son to his pediatrician & she said that he is way ahead of his age & speaks so clearly with his words. If we go anywhere, we count steps or sing our ABC's If we take time to draw, I have him practice his name or make circles, squares & triangles. He will learn more with you because he is with you the most & when he goes to school he will be ready to learn more of what you have already shown him. If you want more of a social setting, see if your area has a "mommy & me class"  or play time in the park this summer. Good luck!

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 6:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009