Grocery Shopping With Kids..

Is it just me or does anyone else hate taking their kiddos (small kids) food shopping with them?
My kids are 4 & 6 when I bring them individually everything goes smooth but together...

I just feel like I end up spending way more time then what I initially intended on 'shopping.' I also find myself getting into a debate every 5 minutes as to why we don't need that particular item at home as we turn down the isle. Or even realizing after bringing the groceries home that I have about 6 items that I don't remember putting in the shopping cart..

MsViv

Asked by MsViv at 2:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2012 in General Parenting

• Hahaha that happens hun I love when they get something that none of us including them like hahaha it gets worse IMO
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 2:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I rather rip out my own fingernails with pliers then take my kids grocery shopping it's h*ll.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I shop when they're at school. I have since our youngest started Kindergarten yrs ago. They all hate going to the store anyway, so even when they're home and I need to run to the store, they all stay home. (They are 9, 10 and 16 yrs old, all boys)....

When the younger two weren't in school I would make sure I went right after breakfast, and got home right before lunch. Then they weren't hungry, and right after lunch they had a nap. I couldn't wait til my Hubby was home to watch them, he's out of state a month at a time, so I just made it work.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• :) It's hard! I only have one- she is a great helper for the most part- but with me carrying my purse, my coupon binder, a 3 year old and being 9 months pregnant- we have been out of food for a while. It just takes too much energy! Especially when she wants to take her jacket off or gets upset or wants to be held. I love her more than the stars though- no idea if I'll ever take TWO kids shopping though!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I refuse to take both with me. My dh makes shopping more difficult so he's not allowed either lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 3:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Forget the kids. I have this problem when I go shopping with my DH. UGG!!!!

Answer by louise2 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Omg!! My DH is not allowed to go grocery shopping with me either. It's either he goes alone and do a FULL shop for groceries or he better give me a list of the things he wants. It gets so heated that we will give each other the silent treatment for a couple days.. can't do it
    MsViv

Comment by MsViv (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I used to avoid shopping with kids, so I can totally relate. 2 years ago, I dreaded the times I had to. It wasn't always bad but just felt like a hassle & my strategy was AVOIDANCE.
    However, things are very different for me now.
    It does tend to take longer than it might if I were solo (though if I am really focused on expediting, we can have gloriously fast shopping runs when we have a very limited time to shop in, or other times when I just want to make it snappy & get home.) It takes longer because generally I'm relaxed & also engaged, so I'm going slow & talking to the kids as we shop.
    The thing that has changed most is me--my automatic responses to situations the kids present me with, my feelings about "conflict," my personal approach to limits, my tolerance for my kids' feelings. It translates to better coping on my part, greater cooperation on their parts, and peaceful pleasant times shopping!

I have 4yo twins & an 8yo.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• So I don't have the debate situation every 5 minutes (or sooner!) when they see & want things that I'm not willing to buy. And I don't default to avoiding certain situations (or entire aisles!), or trying to avoid upsets or conflicts.
    It's a matter of response. Rather than negate & then debate, I just validate. My limit is my limit (I am pretty flexible but if I know something is a no-go, I can comfortably hold the limit) but I don't push against their feelings. This means it's not about me explaining that we "don't need" something. I generally acknowledge that they see something great & want it, and I leave it at that, rather than engaging about whether or not it's OK. Sometimes they persist in asking or insisting, and I acknowledge that they really wanted it & that I didn't get it.
    Sometimes I mention my reasons but many times I don't even go there. It's not about persuading them that I'm right, or pressuring them that way.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I have no problem taking even all 4 of my kids with me if it's a quick trip. Long trips I like having 1 with me or none. I'd rather have 1 or all than 2 or 3 along - just works easier!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2012