Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do I have to file taxes this year?

I do not have any income from an actual job, got divorced this year. I get $112 from my ex husband's SSI. I have 3 kids that get $112 each from their father's SSI. I get grant money from school. I've made interest payments on student loans, and I get child support in addition to the SSI payments.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2012 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Go to and check and see

    I haven't filed taxes since being a SAHM. I don't think it hurts to file anyways- you won't owe anything. You can play around with credits.

    Answer by staciandababy at 3:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • Should I file HoH or just single?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • If you want to receive the tax credit for your 3 children, yes I would file. I'm not sure if the 112 that is being received is per week or month. If it is on a weekly basis I would def file simply because that is over $20,000 in income for the year. I know that doesn't seem like much but lets say you don't file this year, get a job and file next year the IRS will put a flag on your ss# and get their money by any means weather it's dipping into your tax returns or getting it through your paycheck.

    Answer by MsViv at 4:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • Yes.HoH.

    Answer by FreeForAll at 4:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • Everyone must file a return every year.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • I thought you had to have SOME earned income to get any tax credit for a child (children)

    Answer by fiatpax at 4:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • I was hoping to be employed before the end of the year but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. the $112 is monthly. Thanks ladies.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • @Partgal.. you can actually get away with not filing your taxes for one year as long as your income is no more than $10,000 for that year. Only thing is, you'd have to file that return with the upcoming tax return.

    Answer by MsViv at 4:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

  • You do have to actually "earn some income"
    Not child support (which you don't have to claim"
    Not ssi
    Not student loans.
    You have to earn something on your own.
    Filing taxes probably would not benefit you, or the government ... the only thing taxable is your student loan, and I'm sure it's not enough for taxation, with your deductions.

    Answer by romanceparty4u at 7:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.