2 year old constantly getting winded

My almost two year old daughter is CONSTANTLY exhausted after exerting herself EVERY time. she will cough and breathe heavily and many times when we are out she will not walk by herself she wants me to pick her up. At first i thought this was because she was just being a spoiled little woman but now im wondering maybe its cause its really tiring for her. Ive been to the doctor THREE TIMES now and I am very dissatisfied. She says my daughter has "asthma" like qualities but that it isn't but has no EXACT diagnosis? what is that shit? a few months ago she had her go on a nebulizer for only a week with albuteran (SP)and it did absolutely nothing. The coughing went away for a few days and came back and now shes on a steroid drug for the neb. I don't know what to do....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not really shit. It's not possible to administer a Pulmonary Function Test to a child of this age and that is usually how the diagnosis of asthma is made. Rather, with a child of this age, it's more of a guessing game, adding to, or taking away type of thing. They can watch her, they can listen to her lungs, they can use a Pulse Ox to make sure she is getting adequate oxygenation. It's highly doubtful that you were every at a Dr. or hospital without them doing all these things IF they suspected this child has breathing issues. Breathing issues are a main priority in any standard facility.

You can take her to ER if you suspect she is becoming short of breath... immediately. Ask what her oxygenation saturation is, ask if lungs are clear.

When you suspect her being SOB, is her lips blue? These are all things you need to familiarize yourself with.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• See a different doctor. Have they taken chest x rays? Lingering pneumonia?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Maybe look for another doctor if possible. Hope they find what is wrong with her soon
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 5:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• You have been given great answers. I'd recommend a pediatric pulmonologist if there is one in your area.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I don't think they actually diagnose asthma that young... going with what m-avi said here
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Some heart problems can cause those same effects - I'd get another opinion/ask for a referral to a ped pulmonologist and ped cardiologist.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• The symptoms do sound Asthmatic, but it could be a number of other things, I have had Asthma since I was 2. I dont know about there but here in Australia these days they dont like to diagnose children with Asthma till around 4-5, my nephew had Asthma like symptoms between 2-3,his symptoms were quite bad and often,but the Dr's would not diagnose him because of his age,he was on the medicines etc he is now 4 and has no symptoms, theresfore chances are its not and never was Asthma. Sounds to me like the Dr is doing the right thing by being thorough and not just jumping to conclusions, I get more annoyed with Dr's that do the opposite and just throw out a label right away without all the facts, but you can always get a second opinion, and just watch for emergency symptoms, as obviously there is something Pulmonary going on right now.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• My daughter was diagnosed with asthma a month or so ago, at the age of four and a half. She's had symptoms for well over a year, but the pediatrician wouldn't call it asthma before the age of four, even though I have asthma, and my dad and a number of his siblings also have it. She called it asthma-like symptoms, because some kids grow out of it, and some aren't truly asthmatic, but there may be other issues going on. My daughter was started on a nebulizer, then on a rescue inhaler and also a daily inhaler to reduce the irritation in her lungs. She has improved radically on Flovent. If you haven't seen symptom relief, ask for different medications. There are a lot out there. A short course of oral steroids might be prescribed, or more nebulizing sessions per day. Ask if an asthma care specialist is available, or an asthma nurse who works with your pediatrician. Make them take your daughter's symptoms seriously.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2012