Why has my potty trained 2 year old started peeing his pants?

He has been fully potty trained since August, so about 3 months. The last several days, he has had an accident every day, like maybe 5 days or so in a row. He has been mostly peeing, but did poop once as he was running to the potty. It all occurs during the day while he is playing. He wears pull ups at night, but they are always dry in the morning, so no night time accidents. He starts peeing on the floor, couch or whatever, stops peeing and runs to the bathroom to finish. His pee is normal, not cloudy or stinky and he does not appear sick in any way. He doesn't complain of any pain either. Nothing major has changed at home since he has been potty trained. I am a stay at home mom. This happens once, sometimes twice a day. My husband thinks he is just too involved in playing and forgets.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it normal? Should I call his doctor? Thanks in advance.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2012 in Kids' Health

• I think it's pretty normal. They don't like having to stop playing to go to the potty.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Had you been reminding him a lot that now you're not, and he's not used to going consistently without being reminded?
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Yes, I think I had been checking with him more.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Common. With my son that didn't potty train until 3, he never ever had an accident. But my other three that potty trained at 2 have all had accidents when transitioning from me reminding them to having them initiate when they needed to go.

Answer by missanc at 11:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Yeah, this happened with DD and we started making a big happy deal of when she went again to reinforce how happy it made us she is a big girl who uses the potty. It worked! Also, asking him if he has to go will help him figure things out again, too.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Ah, thank you. This makes me feel much better! His doctor told me before that regression is quite common, but I didn't think it would happen after he has been potty trained for so long.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• its very common, and they do get caught up in what they are doing, my 5 year old still sometimes waits to the very last minute to leave what she is doing to go.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Hav you moved, had a baby, or done anything else that might havedisrupted his routine?

If he resists you reminding him, there's a nifty little watch now that they have for kids to wear. You can set how often you want the watch to play a little song, and then tell your son that when he hears the watch, he needs to stop what he's doing and try to go potty. A friend of mine got this watch on Amazon, and she said it was the greatest thing because her daughter thought it was cool, instead of getting frustrated at the mom for reminding her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Thanks for the answers. Nothing has changed in his routine. I like the idea of the watch! It will help me remind him to go too! I think now that the novelty of the potty has warn off he is not as excited to go.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• It's because he is 2. Most kids are not potty trained until closer to 3-3.5. I work in a day care and the few 2 year olds that are potty trained and have been for months all have accidents. The kids that weren't trained until 3-3.5 have not had accidents.

It's normal and common for young kids to have accidents after being potty trained.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2012