Have you ever had a rare reaction/side effect to a medication?

I don't know if different pharmacies do it differently, but here, they list common possible side effects, rare side effects, along with the other info. Anyway, last night I took something, didn't think anything of the itching I had as I went to bed, and then this morning I itched all over so bad I could hardly stand it (no hives though). I looked up the drug online (as we were on the road and I didn't have the pamphlet with me) and found that the itching is a rare side effect to the med. Crazy! I seem to always get the odd side effects, if I have any - none of the common ones!

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 11:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2012 in Health

• There's one I take that will drop my blood pressure dangerously low if I take it too long. First time it happened, I was 6 hrs in the ER with it never crossing their mind that might be the problem. Googled it when I got home and found it in the fine print right from the mfg.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I don't know how rare it is, but a drug that I took to increase my breastmilk supply knocked me on my butt. I thought I knew what it meant to be fatigued before, but once that drug built up in my system, I could barely move. No exaggeration. My boyfriend came home from work one day and found me sitting at the kitchen table crying because I was to exhausted to make it to the recliner in the living room. It took me weeks to recover after I stopped taking the drug.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Yes, to two of them. I am in the 2% who gets a weird hive reaction to one. I also got the weirdest reaction to Lovenox. My injection sites wouldn't stop bleeding, even two days later.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Yes.. I was put on Prednisone for 10 days (my asthma was acting up so bad to the point where I'd get an onset of breathlessness and I would wake up choking in my sleep), my doctor personally told me that this will lower my immune system so don't be surprised if I wake up with a bad cold etc. Of all the side effects listed on that pamphlet, mines was not there... a yeast infection. When I went back to my doctor his response was 'I told you it would lower your immune system' Never again will I take that medication even if I feel like I'm on my last breath 

MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 12:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Hmmm. Hives on penicillin? That's common I think.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• yes, while taking Yasmin i experienced debilitating cluster migraines with aura... i now realize i was probably days away from having a stroke. i googled it one night during an awful cluster attack and abruptly stopped taking them. that was almost 4 years ago.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• oh and now you see all these crazy ads and lawsuits against Yasmin & Yaz for stroke, heart attack, etc. freaking crazy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Phenegran gives me RLS and it makes my head swim-y feeling. Also, I'm taking bactrim for a sinus infection and an unrelated lump under my arm, and it seems it shouldn't be taken with coffee. I'm very jittery right now.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• when I got the Rhogam shot I got hives that started around the injection site and spread very quickly. I immediately called the doctor (it started about 5 hours after the shot) and she told me to head to the ER. By the time I got there I felt like I had the worst case of the stomach flu/regular flu I had ever had in my life. Apparently all a side effect of the shot. When my child came out negative and I didn't need a second shot I was very grateful and when I got pregnant again I insisted DH get his blood tested because if he was negative I didn't need the shot!! He was negative, but they made me sign a paper releasing them from liability if my child was positive because they had no way of knowing for sure that my DH was the father!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2012