Do you approve of your teenager using profane language around you?

ILOVEMYBOYS704

Asked by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I always corrected my kids when they were teens that talking like that in front of adults was disrespectful. Even now as adult men if they swear in front of me they will apologize.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I dont have a teen yet, but the answer is No.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Five years ago I would have said no way. But now that my teenage stepson is finally starting to talk to me about his true thoughts and feelings, I don't care how he does it, just so he keeps it up. If that means I have to laugh at a few dirty jokes and ignore some swearwords--oh well, I've heard and said them all myself before. And since his dad uses the f-bomb in place of a comma at times, how can I say my stepson shouldn't? (My daughter is too young, I tell her some words are for adults and not kids, and that she can say them alone in her bedroom, but nowhere else.) I've just reminded my stepson that curses are okay to use now and then at home, but he is intelligent and articulate enough that he can find ways to express himself in public without them. Oh, and I draw the line at getting called names, ever, by anyone. When my stepson tried that, I made him sit out on the porch till his dad came home and asked me why.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Because if you forbid something and make a battle out of it, you've already lost. The words take on way more importance than they had before. I told my daughter she could go alone to her room and say the words, and she did it a few times over the next couple of days--I still have a baby monitor hooked up, so I could hear her. But since she was alone and got no reaction, the words lost their appeal. She got bored with them and hasn't said them anymore since, in her room or anywhere else.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I guess for me, it depends on the word, & the frequency. I don't like the F Bomb at all. An occasional, less offensive word is OK, but not out in public. And if they wanna avoid injury, it better NEVER be directed at me or hubby. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I have a 16 year old and I couldn't imagine him using profane language around me.
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Comment by ILOVEMYBOYS704 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• so you tell her some words are for adults, but she (a child) can use them in her room herself but nowhere else? Isnt that all a bit of a mixed message for a child? why tell her they are for adults but in the next breath tell her she can use them to herself, I dont see the logic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Not if the profane language was directed at me! but profanity are just words....they can't hurt me......

Answer by older at 10:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2012