Babysitter issue....

I have a wondeful sitter for my dau for before school. She just went thru a horrible event w/ her best friend's death & just texted me last nite that she may be quitting her job (which would also mean quitting for me too) Her husb travels a lot for his job, & this last time she & the kids went w/ him b/c she didn't want to be alone. I get that she's hurting, but I also know that you're not supposed to make drastic life decisions when you are grieving. I don't want to come across as selfish, b/c I already have 2 other options for before school sitters lined up. I just worry that she's not thinking things thru right now. What would you do or say? I feel bad for her. She's a sweetheart.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Relationships

• Just let her know that you care and that you're there for her if she needs someone to talk to. There isn't much else you can do for her. Grief can blind you to so many things but ... only she can sift through what she wants/needs to do. Above all, don't tell her that she shouldn't be making important decisions at this time because all she will hear (as you well know) is that you are worrying who will look after your children (even if we all understand that this is NOT the case - this is all she will see). Be a friend and ... keep your fingers crossed.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I wouldn't say anything about making huge decisions. Though it seems to you like a huge decision spurred by her friend's death, it could be that she's actually been contemplating it for a while, and her friend's death has just caused her to think that she shouldn't delay anymore - that eye opener that makes you realize you're holding off for "tomorrow" when it may not come.

I would just tell her that you support whatever decision she makes, and if she needs someone to talk to, you are more than willing to listen and be a shoulder to cry on. Don't even mention the babysitting - especially if you have 2 other options. She's the best option, but you don't want to make her think that you're trying to manipulate her, even though you're not.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Be a friend. Extend that offer.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Try to offer support but move on with your other options for your children.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2012