Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

My alcoholic ex-husband has filed for sole custody of our two young boys...

My ex is an alcoholic and does not want to pay child support. he asked me for joint custody and when I said "NO" he somehow found a lawyer to represent him to try and get sole custody. He is claiming I have a female roommate with 5 kids that stay in my home every-other weekend (she has 2); Claims I have shown lack of interest in the day to day needs of the kids (because I don't go to all the sports events due to work); claims I consistently spend my evenings at the local bar when i am supposed to be excercising my custodial time with my children ( I socialize on Wednesday evenings when they are with HIM for HIS visitation); claims there has been a complete breakdown of relationship between the two of us ( Not that I haven't tried on many levels- he's the one who refuses to communicate); asking that I pay HIM child support; aski ng that I have defined visitation with our children; asking that his child support payable to me cease immediately.
All of these claims are completely rediculous !! We have been divorced for almost 6 years. he lives with another woman who is just as bad as him. She has a son who is currently in jail for intent to deliver a controlled substance. I am sick to my stomach that he would have the nerve to flat out lie and fabricate minor details. I am beside myself and feel overwhelming dread and have a hard time sleeping and have nightmares over this. I have to answer the comlaint in 30 days...I want to counter claim against him and ask the court for supervised visits or No visits and get him for slander. I also have a small pet grooming business in town that I have to protect. My ex has been the devil himself and I have already had 3 OP's against him in the past and 2 police reports for harrassment in the past 2 weeks. His grandma has "alot of money" and is helping him do this to me.

Answer Question

Asked by cst1967 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2012 in General Parenting

Level 4 (30 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Just find & bring proof of his alcoholism, her son being in jail & that his accusations are false.


    Answer by 3libras at 10:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Point out the fact that he doesn't want to pay CS,but wants to care for their needs in his home. WTF is that all about?
    His police reports speak for themselves

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Great! He'll look like an ass, end up paying more child support AND losing visitation.

    Don't be scared by his lawyers tactics- that's all they are- scare tactics.

    Answer by staciandababy at 10:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Take a deep breath and gather your evidence and take it to court. You should also get some local support get a support group it helps.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Yes, I would definitely be concerned. You are going to need a lawyer no matter what. Take out a loan, borrow money, but you need to have someone who knows all the laws. If there are definite concerns for your children's safety, then you must do what is necessary to protect them. Sometimes, though, just because exes don't get along doesn't mean that either one is a bad parent. You certainly have evidence against him as a threat to yourself, but is he a threat to your children? It's likely that you will both come out in the same position as you are now, even after court unless there is some solid proof of harm to the kids. The court will not take into consideration people that either parent associate with, unless their legal residence is the same as the kids. If the two of you cannot agree on terms with a court moderator, your kids will be appointed a guardian ad litem and the case will go to court.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • I'd find a great lawyer and get this all straightened out. Simple as that.

    Answer by m-avi at 11:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • This is another form of harassment thats all.   Most of that stuff sounds like BS to me.   So has he already filed this, or whatever they call it?


    Answer by louise2 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Sounds like the other woman is egging him on!
    Be so careful! There are lawyers out there that will defend even the lowest of low!
    You need to get back in touch with your lawyer, tell them what is going on and make sure you are reinforced!
    It would be horrible for you to loose anything based on something he would say!

    Answer by madmueller at 12:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Regardless of who has the money..The question is.. Do you have proof or are there any legal documents flying around that confirm that hes an alcoholic? If not, that claim goes right out the window. Does he have anything solid that can be used against you? Like if you have someone watch your kids from time to time, whats their background? Seeing how this is a case for family court, you're going to need a lawyer either way if you don't want to get shut down by his lawyer.

    Answer by MsViv at 1:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • First, take a deep breath, and then find yourself the best lawyer you can afford. Second, make sure you gather all the evidence against him and make 3 or 4 copies of everything (one for you to keep, one for your lawyer, one for his lawyer, one for the court). Make sure you have all your FACTS straight and they sound legitimate...your lawyer can help you with that.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Grocery Shopping With Kids..

Next question overall (Relationships)
DH changing