My 17 month old has a hernia..Do you think surgery is a good idea?

My son has RSV, Croup, and bronchitis and I just found out my son has a hernia about 2 inches above his bellybutton and the specialist wants to do surgery after he is feeling better. She scheduled a check up on March 10 and then the surgery on the 19 ( my birthday ) but I don't know if I want him to have surgery. Its kind of a scary thing I don't know if anyone else has had this surgery before just wondering if any of you have advice on what I should do.

LiLMomma702

Asked by LiLMomma702 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A hernia will NOT get better on its own. I had a double hernia repair in December. If you've ever had a hernia, you'd want your child to have the surgery. Hernias hurt.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 12:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Absolutely. I had a hernia and had to have surgery and felt so much better after it was done. I know it is scary when they have surgery but my dd had her tonsils out when she was 3 and I was so nervous about it. She ended up healing very quickly and was just fine. Its more scary for us then anyone else. I think you should allow the surgery. Hernias can be very painful/

Answer by gemgem at 12:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• One of my boys had the surgery when he was 2 1/2 months olds...it needs to be done! It is very painful and if left untreated...it can get worse!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 1:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The only way the hernia is going to get fixed is surgery. Know way around it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I am going to do the surgery but still scared and I want to make sure he is 100% better before anything
    LiLMomma702

Answer by LiLMomma702 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I'm totally with you. You don't want him going into anesthesia if he's got infections and viruses and a cold. It's not urgent that you do the surgery immediately. He'll just feel better after it's done. Good luck to you. It's horrifying putting your baby in surgery. Hernias in babies and toddlers is more common than you'd think it is, and he'll be fine.

imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 4:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2009