Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What can my Sister do to help her Husband (alcohol related)?

He has been a heavy drinker for many years. He refused to seek help. Now he is probably in liver failure. The whites of his eyes are yellow, he is often confused & sleeps all day. Has episodes of panic attacks etc. He was seeing a Psychiatrist for meds but will not take them. I saw him last night for the first time in 5 months & he's aged 20 years, confused & his eyes & skin are yellow. He refuses to go to the ER or a Dr. since he says "I'm not waiting for anyone". So what can she do as far as maybe having him committed so he has to get medical attention? He is on deaths doorstep I suspect. Any ideas? Thanks


Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • If he is this bad, theres not much to be done unfortunately and it sounds like he is still in denial about how sick he is. I watched my best friend drink himself to death at age 56. Sometimes you just cant forcepeople to do whats right. Im so sorry.

    Answer by Nimue930 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Sounds like he has cirrhosis of the liver.   That is what my grandfather died from.    It happens after years of drinking.  Unfortunately, if he's not willing to seek treatment (if he's not already beyond help), there's not a lot that can be done.   By the time my grandfather would get treatment, he had lapsed into a coma and never came out.   That is the only way the family could get him to the hospital.   Sorry.


    Answer by m-avi at 12:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Contact APS (adult protective services) to see what they suggest in a situation like this.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • Unfortunately she can't get him committed. If he has hit her or their kids, she can get him arrested and thrown in jail. But if he's mentally ill, he actually has to be proven incompetent for anything to be done.

    Has she looked into Al-Anon? It will be helpful to her, and they may have some suggestions.

    She also needs to make sure all his affairs are in order. Unfortunately she may be a widow shortly.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • If he passes out then she can call 911 and get him to the ER. Untell then if he refuses medical attention. that is his choise.

    Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • There is nothing you can do. He's an adult. Maybe your sister should day seek help or I am gone. If I was her I wouldnt stick around and watch someone I love slowly kill themselves and refuse help

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • There is no way if he will not go you can force him. Maybe its time for trickery to lie about where your going and go.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • You can't force anyone to get medical help. If he need emergency medical attention then she should call 911 and let them handle him.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 1:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • I have learned that an alcoholic must want to change for themselves. No one can force them otherwise. The only thing I can think of, would be to legally have him declared incompetent and force treatment. I am not sure if that would work and it would undoubtedly be a long, slow process.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

  • She should check w/ the laws in her state to see if she has the power, as his spouse, to have him committed. That might be the only way. GL


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2012