Question about steam heat bleeding radiators

OK, my Dad taught me how to do this a long time ago. I looked online at the step by step directions, so I understand "how" to. So, I tried it with the radiator that is easiest to access. When I turned the do-hickey, water came out immediately. It surprised me so much, I closed it right back up. Does that mean it doesn't have to be bled yet? Or do I have to wait for the heat to be on and try again? I don't know how to tell if I have to do it or now. The radiator in question feels hot near the top but completely cold at the bottom, that's why I thought I should do it.

Any clues, any one?

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Home & Garden

• on our radiator we have a small hole at top of rad to bleed it or are you draining water from the side?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• u sure its hot at the top? cus normally when there is air in there its normally hot at bottom and cold at top because of the air gap
    san78

• i dont think u should do it while the radiators are on because of the hot water coming out, may burn you.
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I have no idea. Here is a bump.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2012