Should I look into some professional help?

I have a little girl that is about 3 and a half named Emily. I know most toddlers experience tantrums and outbursts about things because of their limited communication. However the past 2 months I have started to get worried that her aggression isn't normal because it has only gotten worse. Some of the problems I have been experiencing with Emily is her actions towards myself, my younger daughter, and my cats. Just last week she got mad at my younger daughter Elizabeth who is one and punched her in the nose which gave her a really bad bloody nose. Well she seemed to think it was funny that blood was coming from Elizabeth's nose but still told her little sister she was sorry. About a month ago she started to be very mean to the cat. She has jumped on him so hard before that she has broken his leg and just last night she got up from the table during to dinner to run after the cat with a fork and poke him as hard as she could. There are also times she will walk up to Elizabeth and hit her really hard on her head. At this point I almost have to keep them separated at all times unless they are playing right in front of me and my cat has to stay locked in my room. There is never any aggressive behavior at home or anything that has happened or changed that I think would push her to act this way. I have tried numerous things in this past year to try to make things easier. I have even brought in an in home nurse to help with the behavior problems but none of it has helped and I am starting to feel hopeless. Emily is also extremely defiant when it comes to my husband and I or anybody else that cares for her. However she isn't in daycare so my husband and I care for 98% of the time. This behavior isn't all of the time either. She will have maybe an hour or 2 every other week when she is well behaved. Should I take her to go see a child psychiatrist for an evaluation?

hdvorak20

Asked by hdvorak20 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Its time for therapy or to have a discussion with your pediatrician .
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• YES, get her help now while she is still young.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 5:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Yes, and you do not need to use names....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Yes I believe you should seek profesional help
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Yes
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Yes
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• This is NOT normal behavior. A 3.5 year old knows how to talk and can express their feeling without physical violence and throwing tantrums.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Yes
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 6:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Thank you everyone. I have been reading more about it online. I just wanted to get some other mother opinions about the situation.
    hdvorak20

Comment by hdvorak20 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Yes, for your own sanity get help so you don,t feel alone in this . Good luck.
    aem8776

Answer by aem8776 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2012