They've even moved the arguing over public nativity scenes ahead of Thanksgiving...

Now, the churches behind the nativity are suing in federal court and claim the city violated their freedom of speech by stopping the holiday tradition.

A court hearing Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles could decide the fate of the Christian tableau for the upcoming season.

The churches want a judge to block the city's ban on private and unattended displays in the park until the case is resolved. The city is asking the court to dismiss the lawsuit entirely.

In all these fights, what I've always wondered - how is not being allowed to set up a display (which you then expect your local government to pay for people to guard and protect) infringing on free speech?  Where does saying, we're not going to deal with the hassle anymore prevent anyone from setting up their own nativity scene in front of their own house or church?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Religious Debate

• You're not allowed to use well reasoned logic on topics like this- silly girl :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Nothing that has ever happened on public property or government property has ever stopped me from celebrating and decorating on my own property. Why do others find this hard to do?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Oy Vey! Of all the ....I can't even finish the thought. (Well I can, but I won't) It's not even here yet and I am already sick of christmas. Can we please have thanksgiving first ? Christmas gets pushed in our faces earlier and earlier every year. Why do some atheists have to nitpick every little thing? Especially since it's been a tradition for the last 60 years. Why do they choose to be drama hounds now? I hope the law suit gets thrown out. I also hope they can reach some kind of compromise such as allowing both displays in different areas of the park.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Since it bothers so many people it should be moved onto private property. Christmas decorations shouldn't be put up before Thanksgiving anyway.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I don't care really but I will play Devil's advocate. Could someone say they have the right, in a public park, to express their religious beliefs? That anyone should be able to do that in a public space?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I think if the Nativity scene was allowed for 60 years then it was obviously okay with the locals. I believe in the freedom of religious expression, that being said, I would've been fine with the atheist doing his non-religious scene. I must say, I don't understand why something Atheists don't believe in is so offensive, annoying, or whatever sentiment was behind the putting up the non-religious scene.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• If the churches want the right to express their religious beliefs, they have to be willing for other beliefs to be expressed as well when it is on public land. I betcha anything they weren't standing up for the atheist when people were in an uproar.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Sigh
    Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I am curious about what the Atheists scene was?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I looked it up, I think people who got offended by the atheists sign, which I felt was stupid, should have just ignored it and let it go. IMO he had every right to put something up.  I believe he put it up because he was offended by the Christmas display.  If he would of put something up celebrating solstice or something along that lines, IMO would have been fine.  But instead he decided to put something up that mocked Jesus.  What I do not understand is why do some Atheists have to mock other people's faith.  I don't agree that other faiths should mock Atheists either.  I believe in that old saying two wrongs don't make a right.  Just because someone else insults you doesn't mean you should turn around and insult them back. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2012