They've even moved the arguing over public nativity scenes ahead of Thanksgiving...

Now, the churches behind the nativity are suing in federal court and claim the city violated their freedom of speech by stopping the holiday tradition.

A court hearing Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles could decide the fate of the Christian tableau for the upcoming season.

The churches want a judge to block the city's ban on private and unattended displays in the park until the case is resolved. The city is asking the court to dismiss the lawsuit entirely.

In all these fights, what I've always wondered - how is not being allowed to set up a display (which you then expect your local government to pay for people to guard and protect) infringing on free speech?  Where does saying, we're not going to deal with the hassle anymore prevent anyone from setting up their own nativity scene in front of their own house or church?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I hate Christmas... I really, really do. It's not even Thanksgiving and I'm sick and tired of Christmas.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I was hoping there was a pic of the atheist display. Anyhoo, they can still put displays in front of their churches.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I guess it depends. The way I see it, is this display is tradition. Not all tradition need to be continued, I agree. How ever the question I have is this: If they are allowed to no have the traditional display are they then going to allow a different display which must then be guarded using the same government personel.

If the park is simply going to ban ALL displays due to the need of protecting them, then I say that it is sad that the tradition will not be there to give joy to many people but it isunderstandable. If it is simply to deny that group, then I say it is not right and would be suppression of free speech.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Hopefully some wiccan coven will come forward and be permitted to erect their lighted pentacle and their recreation of Stonehenge next to the nativity. Personally, I'd like to put up an Asherah pole, draped with different colored satins. Of course, a depiction of the birth of the god Mithras is totally appropriate to the month of December, since the 25th IS his birthday. The atheist sign recounted his legend and wished him a happy birthday--I saw one picture of it before it exploded off the net. Judeo-christos are so TOUCHY!! And some atheists are too. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Frankly I wouldn't care if every religion and none religion had displays in any/ all of the public areas.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• It's NOT, that's the thing and that's what the court has determined. But the groups who had participated for years in the displays feel it is because THEY can't have their displays anymore. HOWEVER, when it was done the year before and there were more displays done by atheists than by Christians (because more of them won the spots through the lottery), their displays were vandalized. SO really, who was infringing on whose free speech? You can't have it both ways. You can't say you want free speech and yet infringe on others' rights to free speech.
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 1:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• The irony is that people are blaming atheists for the removal of the religious diorama, when it was the city that removed it so that they wouldn't have to share space with any other groups.   Hypocrisy is exposed.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2012