If your kids are not home on Christmas day, when do you celebrate Christmas?

My son who is 12 has been with me every year on Christmas. This year his father & I are not getting along so he is making my son stay with him for Christmas. He could have done this every other year for the past ten years, but never did. I have 3 other smaller children that live with me, and don't know how I should celebrate without leaving out my older son. He will not be home until December 26th in the afternoon.

Asked by txnmomof4 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2012 in General Parenting

• My ex gets the kids Christmas Eve and I get them Christmas day. If he ever decided to be a prick and change that, I would wait until we could all be together and celebrate. Maybe do something little for the younger ones like something the older one would feel he is too old for anyway. Sorry his father is being this way

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I have had Christmas on New Years because of visitation conflicts.
    Do something small for the ones at home and then the big day on another day.
    With split families you learn flexibility.

Think of it as pre planning for when they grow up, move away and marry- you just make it work

Answer by feralxat at 6:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I would do it the evening of the 26th once he's unpacked etc, or the last morning before he goes to his dad's. I wouldn't do it seperate from the other kids.

Answer by idareyou at 7:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• My kids are with me on Christmas this year, but they weren't last year. I also have a 4 yo and 2 yo. Last year when my little ones were 3 and 1, we let them open the things Santa left Christmas morning. When my older ones got home on the 26th they opened their things from Santa and we exchanged gifts to/from each other. I had gotten my little ones a few extra little things from us to keep them busy while my older ones opened Santa stuff.

Answer by missanc at 7:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• We do it whenever we are all together. It is a PITA with so many conflicting schedules, but you deal with what you have to.

Answer by kmath at 7:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• Well, while I've never had your problem, we have had to postpone Christmas before. I refuse to do any of the holidays when my husband is deployed. When he returns is when we do our Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff.

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• We do it when we are together

Answer by booklover545 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I would let the little ones do Santa Christmas morning and save everything else for when your son comes back. Sorry Mama, it must be hard to not have all your babies together for Christmas....

Answer by Luuckymommy at 5:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Thanks temsping/2mom we had been doing the same as you for the past 10 years. Worst part is my son doesn't even like going to visit.

Comment by txnmomof4 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2012