Child with Speech Therapy has reached a standstill. Help?

My son has been in speech therapy since Kindergarten, he's now in 5th grade. His original problem was that when he was born, his tongue was connected on the bottom. Two years ago we had surgery to correct this and now he can move his tongue fine. His speech improved a great deal after the surgery but he still needed to go to therapy to learn how to use his newly freed tongue in speech. He had several problems, one of which was the "r" sound. with. His speech teacher said he was doing fine in her room, but when he returns to the classroom,he gets lazy and goes back to mispronouncing his words. Well today, she called me, and said she don't know how to help him anymore, she said it's like running into a brick wall. She said my son told her that he don't want to do speech anymore, and that he don't care about how he sounds. Any one have any experience/advice?

WiseMom1970

Asked by WiseMom1970 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would say, let him stop speech for now! His speech problem doesn't sound like an issue that effects his grades or his development....Does he have friends and seem happy? If so, his speech "problem" may not seem like a big deal to him and he doesn't care enough about it to try to change it. So, for now, I would let it go. If the time comes when he feels motivated to change the way he sounds he will learn quick enough! It sounds like your son is not motivated....and you and the therapist can beat your heads against the wall to try to get him motivated, or you can let him find a reason to be motivated down the road. The ball is in his court right now.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If the therapist is telling your son that there is nothing else she can do for him, no wonder he doesn't want to go back. Maybe you could see if the school district has another speech therapist who could work with him for a while. If you feel he still needs therapy, can you get a referral from his pediatrician that your insuance will cover.
    You could also speak to his classroom teacher and have her reward him for proper speech habits or report to you and he could earn computer time or a special time with a family member or something he really wants
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 3:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Seasidegrandma has the best advice. My son is 5 and is in speech therapy, sometimes he hits a standstill but he's still really young. His pathologist said it is normal for kids his age. Wish I had advice.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Seaside Grandma is absolutely right. Request a new therapist, sit down for a meeting at school to talk about her neg behavior, and ur sons reactions too. Talk to ur dr about outside speech therapy, there are amazing therapists out there who would love a chance to help. Maybe he is just embarrassed that its at school and is getting teased?
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 11:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My daughter has gone to speech since she was PreK now she is in 3rd! Her speech therapist gives her exercises to do! She is a thumbsucker which desperately trying to stop her from doing! I would set up an appointment with a orthodontist and make appointment with the speech therapist to what the problem and see if she is willing to straighten the problem out! If she isn't willing to help and has an attitude then you need to report to the school district or the school llaison!
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 2:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Maybe the ST is trying to tell you that unless your son's attitude improves, and he actually tried, then she can't help him.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 7:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009