I am clueles about buying a computer! I don't want to walk into bestbuy a clueless blonde, then get ropped into spending alot.

my husband gave the "go ahead" on a new computer. I am having trouble deciding between a laptop or a pc. Also can you tell me what to avoid? as in brand names.
First of all Which one is better? I have been told laptops are nice because they don't take up space and are portable. However they don't have as much "storage space" as a desktop.
My husband says I should get a laptop so I can get a printer.
Please help me....
my current computer was given to me, it's from the 90's running off windows '98.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Shopping

• I'm sorry my husband says to get a desktop pc so I can have a printer.....sorry about that!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Okay - first tip: Do not go to Best Buy! Look around for a more localized computer shop, if you can.

Dell is good.  Compaq is not so good.

Anonymous

• we have a local comptuer repair shop that sells refurbished computers. My husband did tell me to go there first.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I just bought mine, to top of the line HP through the 800 hp line. can't remember the number, but it costed me 1100 for everything. mine is 19 inch screen, hp pavilion slimline w/ wireless keyboard/mouse. GREAT DEAL and EASY! Very informative. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 1:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• go to dell.com buy something refurbished.... it is just as good with a better warranty... no pressure... that is where my dh got ours, dont go to a store!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Also, Vista is compatiable with much...so beware there. Although I do love my Vista. DELL, is a whole lot more and not great customer service.
    And if you like to do Pictures on your computer, then a lap top is not the best for you. (storage as you mentioned)
    I have the slimline....Very Small. next to a lap top. GOOD LUCK
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 1:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I spent 450 bucks at walmart for a compact. Awesome hp flat screen, windows vista, AOL 9.1 and its QUick as hell. Came with the mouse and keyboard too. Great value.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Hello,

Make sure you get the warranty, so go to dell.com !  Just make  sure you do not buy stuff that you will never use like, like a super sound card or video card unless you are gaming !

Do not upgrade memory cause it is only 30.00 more and all the good marketing that  they do everywhere

Vista is unstable Operating System, but make sure you get a good anti virus, and please stay away from downloading music.  I usually clean computer for my friends and they get infected by virus and Trojans all the time, just because they wanted to download music and some other stuff that the DHs do !

Have fun !

Computer Tech -mom

Anonymous

• In college the library had laptops we could use while at school. They had Gateways and Dells.
    I hated them both. When we got married, my husband and I got new computers. I got a Sony Vaio and it's pretty decent.
    Anonymous

• You can use a printer with a laptop, we do. It's just connected by a USB cord. We have bought Dell and Compaq/HP in the past, and Dell is by far better. If you go to www.dell.com you can find some excellent refurbished computers. We just bought a super nice laptop, with lots of additions, for only $800 and it was brand new. The refurbished ones are even less expensive. I prefer laptop so that it's portable. Oh, and Dell website does have an online chat where a live representative will help you figure out what you need, but be sure you tell them your top price before hand or they will build as expensive of a system as they can lol. Good luck and have fun shopping!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009