9 month clogged tear duct

I took my 9 month old to eye doctor today and she has a clogged tear duct that has no chance of opening. They want to tie her down, have a nurse hold her head, and insert a probe in her eye and open it at the office. They said she will have bleeding from nose and eye. Has anyone had to do this with baby? I dont think I can do it to her awake. 0% it will open on its own 10% chance open with massage 95% sucess rate with probe

kenedygrace06

Asked by kenedygrace06 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 of my babies have had clogged tear ducts as infants. My Dr told me to massage gently on the inside of their eyes at every feeding until it clears up. It has worked both times. If I were you I would try the less invasive procedures first. Good luck.
    mamarocks3

Answer by mamarocks3 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• mine is 8 months old and has had one on since birth, my eye doctor and the pedi both gave me some medicine to on it, arithmycin or something like that and also that if you massage it may open on its own, the gave me the option of doing the probe or what it out until she is 1 and if it is still clogged then they will do the procedure and if that doesnt work then they will try one more time with the probe and it that doesnt work then they will do surgery.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 2:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• OMG.... That sounds awfull. I would see a different dr thats cruel. My daughter had both of her eyes probed and it was a surgical procedure under anisthesia. That also sounds very dangerous one wrong move of the chid and he/she could loose there eye sight.
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009