9 month clogged tear duct

I took my 9 month old to eye doctor today and she has a clogged tear duct that has no chance of opening. They want to tie her down, have a nurse hold her head, and insert a probe in her eye and open it at the office. They said she will have bleeding from nose and eye. Has anyone had to do this with baby? I dont think I can do it to her awake. 0% it will open on its own 10% chance open with massage 95% sucess rate with probe

kenedygrace06

Asked by kenedygrace06 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Health

• Yeah they do need opening but usually they put them to sleep why they do it. I'd ask about puttin the little one out. Good luck
    Krazy-Purple

Answer by Krazy-Purple at 2:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son had the same problem at 2 months old. The doctor gave me some eye drops to use 3 times a day and to message his eye with a warm wet cloth after every diaper change......48 hours later his ducts were unclogged. I would suggest trying this first....Follow your heart!
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 3:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son had a clogged duct and my doctor told me to wait until after he was a year old. It opened naturally when he was 11 months.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 4:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We actually just took my 1 year old in today to get his eye looked at because he has a clogged tear duct. But he wants to put him under anestsia and then put the probe in. His eye really snt too bad. It sometimes tears out and gets goopy but its not an all the time thing. I havent scheduled the surgery yet. Im a little nervous and want to try massaging his eye a little more
    mrm1433

Answer by mrm1433 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2009