What do you do when you are still in love with a man who physically assaulted you?

This is the same guy I have been w/for the last 5 yrs. He got jealous about something really silly and knocked my teeth out. He went to jail, but bonded out. Now, we have spoken and all those feelings are still there. How do I get him out of my system?

kbrad2008

Asked by kbrad2008 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Simple - stay away from him.  The more you see him, the harder it will be for you to let him go.  And if you're having second thoughts about letting him go - He obviously needs to work out some personal problems before he deserves another chance.

Anonymous

• If you have to see him for any reason, think about how it felt to have your teeth knocked out. Seriously, that can't have been pleasant, think of it as extreem rubber band therapy, everytime you think about him in a loving manner try to think about him hitting you, you'll cure yourself of him fast.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp and will add seek counseling to see why you think being in an abusive relationship is all you deserve. You deserve more then that.
    Anonymous

• something similar happened to me.. but it had occured frequently.. he hit me alot.. and i'm pregnant! well my sister called one night and heard what was going on and she called the cops i had the guts to tell them what happened, and he went to jail.. he bonded out after 2 days and we got back together because i have no one else, and i am having his child) he hasnt hit me since but he does get angry and yells usually ends up leaving the house. but this is not my first abusive relationship and most guys never change i just am lucky they gave him anger management and hes on probation he has changed alot.. partly because this is his first child and he doesnt want to be out of my life.. but you cant count on words only.. i would say stay away if thats what you want chances are that he will do it again.. and STAY BUSY or your mind will work overtime and you will start to want him back because the feelings are still there
    Anonymous

• if its possible take a vacation, or go stay with a friend/relative for a few weeks.. stay busy and do something for yourself.. get back your life.. and focus on you after a month or so it wont be so bad
    Anonymous

• its sad to say but most times you dont get it out of your system untill he does something else like that to you but worse,i went thru that and i almost lost my life thankgod i came to my senses after haveing my fourth concusshion from him now he is in prison for attempted murder and serving a life sentance stay away its whats best...
    Anonymous

• Every time you think of him, close your eyes and remeber how you felt inside and outside when he knocked your teeth out. Remember the fear and the pain. Don't listen to his sweet talk cause when the doors are closed and it is just you and he, he'll hurt you again. You cannot trust him. Also what would you want your dtr to do if you had one? Likely whatever you do, your kids will do. Good Luck and be safe.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If he knocked your teeth out..STAY AWAY! That means he doesnt love you!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You need to know you deserve better and that a real man doesnt do that stuff! Please keep yourself busy and stay away from him!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Get away from him. He doesn't deserve you. Be respectful to yourself & stay away from him. Don't put yourself down....take care of yourself. You are the only one who can do that.
    CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 3:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009