Need suggestions! Quick!

Okay, I'll try to make this as short as possible. Bottom line: I have a 3 year old who escapes his room as soon as his eyes open in the morning, then goes into his brothers room and wakes him up. Recently, he has started going into his brother's room (he is 16 months old) and knocking over his play-pen so that he can "escape" too. I think this is dangerous because he is still little and does not know how to go down the stairs yet and I am afraid that his big bro is going to let him out and then he is going to fall down the stairs!

Anyway, I want to get our youngest a toddler bed... BUT that would mean we would have to use a baby gate... AND I think it would be useless because my 3 yr old knows how to take them down in like 2 seconds. I just think it would be dangerous but I don't know what to do because he has to have a bed EVENTUALLY .... I just can't get my 3 yr old to realize that what he is doing is "bad." LOL

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are correct that tipping the playpen over could hurt the younger child or both could get hurt wandering around...do you not have a monitor in his room so you can hear him when he wakes up and go get him? That's my suggestion...I got one of those dual room ones every 10 or 15 secs it switches between rooms; so I can hear pretty much as soon as either of my girls wakes up...good luck
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• There are many different kinds of gates you can get that arent easy to get out of. Look into various ones including the ones that have a door system. You can also get a very tall one so he cant climb over. Youre only other option is getting those door alarms you see on TV and when he escapes youll hear it.

Answer by gemgem at 1:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Do you keep the door to your babies room shut? If so they have doorknob covers that spin if you don't squeeze it just right and the knob wont turn. We had to get them because my son would open the front door because it didn't have a deadbolt and he learned how to turn the lock. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above answer. They have gates that have special locks on them that the kids cant figure out. If there is a certain time he usually wakes up every morning you can set your alarm to earlier so you are awake to catch and scold him for it. If you keep continuing to catch him and scold him eventually he will stop.
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You can also put one of those door knob things on the outside so maybe he cannot get into the 16month olds room? I agree that it is very dangerous for him to be doing that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• What he is doing is not bad...just normal 3 yr old behavior. I would just make sure you had a way to hear as soon as he is up and then get up with him. I know this is hard, I have boys 3 and 2 that are 13 months apart. He will out grow this but until then, you need to be up as soon as he is up.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2009