Alzheimer

so my dad has become rather forgetful, he is in his older age.. and i have a fear that it might be like pre-alzheimer should i talk to his doctor about it? or do i talk to him about it?? how would you go around it?

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2012 in Health

• It's a good idea to speak to his Dr. He might have had a stroke, or it's dementia, which I think isn't the same as early stages of Alzheimer disease, but I could be very wrong.
    We thought my Grandma had alzheimer disease, but she was having mini strokes over the course of a few years...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Talk to the doctor!! There are many medications that can slow it down (not stop it). The earlier they get started on the medication the better!

Try to talk to the doctor privately or see if you can talk to him over the phone. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and my mom always calls ahead to discuss thing ahead of time because my grandmother will just deny it all.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• yes talk to him with his Dr. together all of you in a room...it starts off real slow & just gets worse if this is the case...My Grandma had that & died having it real bad, it was so incredibly sad to watch, especially when she did not remember anyone anymore.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• My mother had Alzeheimer's and in the beginning the first thing her doctor did was check to see if she had a stroke once that was ruled out she was prescribed a med, that they say slows the progression.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I would talk to his doctor, but the medication given for this condition doesn't really help much, my mother in law had this disease for 17 years of her life, at the end there was only a cocoon of her body left,she had been long gone before she took her last breath. The one thing I saw that gave this disease a chance at any normal life, was keeping things the same, surrounding the person with whatever was familiar seemed to make them feel at ease....they do not suffer much, they live in their own little world, those around them are the ones suffering....I am so sorry, this is a long process for most...but savor what he remembers now....

Answer by older at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I would schedule him for a check-up and go from there.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2012