Mom/venting

Here's the deal my mom texted me the other day,or it could've been my sister,not sure,I was on my way to work. They were asking why I never call or stop over,I work graveyards and have four kids a husband and household to manage and I'm dead tired. No I haven't called her lately cause she always sounds angry when I call. She texted me this morning and said she wasn't going to come over for thanksgiving because my son supposedly gave her a dirty look and shook his head at her and walked away. We've spoken a few times after that happened so I don't see what the big deal is. Is she just finding something to be mad at all the time? She never spends anytime with her grandkids at all and never really even asks about them. She has problems and is mental a lot.
She was very abusive to me as a child and now even as an adult she has no respect. I'm not sure what to do. At least I tried and she knows how busy I'am. I have some texts this morning that I'm going to show my brothers so they can see personally how I'm treated. I really feel like just cutting my ties with her period.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2012 in Relationships

• if she wont respect you as an adult just cut lies with her. Thats why I rarely see my "mother".
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I'm of two minds here. First instinct is indeed to cut ties. That's what we did with my MIL.

BUT... she died in September. We only learned about it a week and a half ago, because no one had contact info for us. (She had our number in her phone but it was locked. Allegedly my BIL tried to unlock it. Not really believing that one...)

Anyway... we learned that she had dementia. And apparently had been suffering from it for 17 years. While she was never a gem, she had become considerably nastier over that time period, which coincided with our move three hours away. When we came back we saw her occasionally but it was never pleasant. Since we didn't see her often, we didn't think about possible medical causes.

All this is to say, consider talking to mom's doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I wrote her back and told her I didn't appreciate her attacking me and my kid,and asked her why she didn't express her concerns with me the times I've helped her out. Noone in this family has the balls to tell her she's the one with the problem not us.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Well you could once a month go to the park with the kids and invite her. Not much a commitment time wise maybe bring food, that way she sees you but also sees what a good mom you are. And she will also be spending time with your kids on your terms. Quick, easy, no drama......
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2012