How do you keep mud from being tracked in the house when it's pouring rain outside?

It is just dumping rain outside!

I can't get my SO to take his shoes off... He just walks all over the house.... Gross!

Should my question be how to get him to take his shoes off?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I have a mat outside my door. I also have a runner just inide the door. I also have a tray to set shoes on and a place to sit to take them off at the door.. If he tracks in mud then hand him the cleaning supplies, each and every time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• We don't allow shoes in the house, ever. We have a big shoe rack in the garage on the way into the house.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• We don't allow shoes in the house either. We usually enter the house through the garage so shoes are left outside in the garage. When family comes to visit they bring slippers. Dirty floors make me crazy plus it saves money on not having to clean the rugs. I started the no shoe thing the day we moved in.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Let us know if it works! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• We always take our shoes off outside. We have a covered porch, so we can leave them out there. When we had a house with an attached garage, we left them in the garage.

My best advice would be put up a sign at the doors that says "Take off your muddy shoes or you'll be cleaning up the mess!!" and if he tracks in mud, hand him a mop. :D
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• We also have a shoe rack in the garage. My oldest (15 yo) doesn't like to be barefoot, so I got him some moccasins that he gladly switches into when he comes inside. It was a huge adjustment for my husband because he always wore his shoes inside and his mom was more than happy to clean up after him. I just talked to him about all the stuff (bacteria, germs, etc.) that he picks up walking around and then brings into our house, where our babies/toddlers are crawling around and then putting their hands in their mouths. Making it clear to him that he could be endangering our childrens health made it easier for him to understand WHY he needed to take his shoes off.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• What you could do is put a big mat inside the door (make sure it has a non skid backing) & put a pair of slippers there so when he comes home he can leave his shoes on the mat & put slippers on.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• ^^^Be careful what you ask for - you might get it! Don't offer what you aren't willing to deliver.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• We have a flooded muddy backyard right now with an uncovered patio and he parks on the street in the front and walks up through the yard to the uncovered porch that is just a cement block.

I also have cats- so they run in with their little muddy paws too
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Okay- I saw the rubber shoe trays at the dollar store- I'll pick up two of those today... I don't have room for a place to sit by the door to take them off but he just slips his shoes on and off. There's a runner at the front door and a welcome mat inside the house at the back door...

I think if I handed him a mop he would just put it down and keep walking.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2012